Affectionately known as the ‘City of Dreams’ and ‘Maya Nagri’ in Hindi, Mumbai has a great deal to offer for both residents and visitors alike, including a diverse range of career opportunities and attractions such as world-class shopping, architecture, entertainment, and mouth-watering cuisine. Want to learn more about the markets in Mumbai and whether you're already a resident of the city or planning a trip there, keep reading to find more!
Did you know? Mumbai is also known as the fashion capital of India and it offers some of the best markets and shopping bazaars in the entire country?
Colaba Causeway, One of the Major Thoroughfares in the Mumbai City
This retail district is a must-see for everyone who appreciates street shopping and bargaining with vendors. There is a lot to see and do at the market for food and fashion enthusiasts, starting from contemporary clothing to tasty gourmet food items. Don't forget to taste the traditional Vada pav, Cutting Irani chai, Bun Maska, and Paani puri available from street vendors. After a long day of shopping at street stalls and markets, you may reward yourself with a lunch at one of Mumbai's iconic restaurants, such as Leopold Café or Café Mondegar.
- Where should I start? Roads such as Colaba Causeway and Shahid Bhagat Singh Road are a primary starting point if you are a first time visitor of the Mumbai city.
- When should you make your trip? From 9:00 A.M. to 10:00 P.M, Monday to Friday.
- What do you recommend buying? Handicrafts, apparel, home décor, brass artefacts, jewellery, and books are among the items you can purchase.
Fashion Street, a Popular Destination for Fashion Enthusiasts
Are you interested in purchasing high-quality branded clothing items and accessories at a reasonable price? Keep Fashion Street on your list of places to visit in Mumbai city. A wide variety of export rejected branded clothing and accessories are available in the market, and your negotiation skills will aid you in obtaining the best possible price for your purchase. Look no where than Fashion Street to get high-quality clothing items and high-end sports items of all kind such as Puma, Reebok, and Nike, among others. Never buy anything without thoroughly inspecting it beforehand.
It is important to note that they have a massive range of both legitimate and counterfeit branded apparel, shoes, and accessories, so be sure that you pay the appropriate amount after examining the quality.
- Where should I get started? Churchgate, Karmaveer Bhaurao Patil Marg, and New Marine Lines are among the locations to look for.
- When should you make your trip? From 10:30 A.M to 10:00 P.M, Monday to Friday.
- What do you recommend buying? Clothing and accessories that are featured in the latest trendy collections.
Has it ever dawned on you that Chor Bazaar, one of the oldest and most famous Mumbai markets, has been in operation for more than 150 years? Consequently, it has an unusually high amount of buildings and shops in the Renaissance style to show for it. Was it ever brought to your attention that the British used to refer to this market as ‘Shor Bazaar? Yes, due to the atmosphere, heavy traffic, and loud noises, the market was a lively area, as the British described it. Although the market was known initially as ‘Shor Bazaar’, the name was eventually changed to ‘Chor Bazaar’.
You can visit Chor Bazaar every day except for Friday. You can enjoy exploring antique stores, marketplaces, collecting antique figurines, collectables such as vintage lamps, clocks, coins, electrical devices, and so many other items. Several high-end items are available for purchase at rock-bottom prices, making it one of Mumbai's most economical shopping destinations.
Where should I get started? Mutton Street in Kumbharwada is situated near Mohammad Ali Road, between SV Patel and Moulana Shaukat Ali Roads, and is a residential neighbourhood.
When should you make your trip? 11:00 A.M to 7:30 P.M, Monday to Thursday.
What do you recommend buying? Items such as furniture, antique and vintage décor, and figurines are all available to purchase.
Is it appealing to you to witness an excellent combination of old and modern retail booths and businesses in one location? Then go over to Linking Road to get a stunning traditional Indian attire for a wedding or other special occasion. The bridal wedding collection stores on the market are constantly stocked with the most up-to-date and fashionable bridal and groom gowns and accessories available all over India.
On weekends, the market is very active, and particularly on Sundays, highly congested due to the high volume of people. If you want to shop for wedding dresses, we recommend that you go during week days and avoid shopping on Sundays.
- Where should I get started? The Bandra West Linking Road is a major thoroughfare in the western suburbs of Mumbai (starting point - Waterfield Road intersection)
- When should you make your trip? From 11:00 A.M until 11:30 P.M, Monday to Friday.
- What do you recommend buying? Traditional Indian apparel, belts, shoes, and discarded jewellery are available. It is possible to see Indian-made things on display at the market.
Crawford's Market, the Busiest Grocery Segment of the City
The Crawford Market has been renamed honouring the Mahatma Gandhi ji. It is one of Mumbai's best shopping markets and a wholesale retail centre, making it one of its most important and oldest wholesale market area.
You will be able to buy fresh fruits, vegetables, and meat and other necessary items at affordable prices. Additionally, if you are seeking better shops and markets to adopt pets such as birds, fish, dogs, cats, and are interested in going to this market, you may do it as well.
- Where should I get started? Lokmanya Tilak Marg, Dhobi Talao, and the Fort District are some of the most popular destinations in the city to get started with.
- When should you make your trip? From 10:00 A.M to 8:00 P.M, Monday to Friday.
- What do you recommend buying? Fruits, vegetables, fish, adaptable birds are all included.
Zaveri Bazaar, a Gold and Silver Marketplace
Zaveri Bazaar is a one-stop-shop for those who are interested in jewellery. The market is entirely devoted and overflowing with the most current and attractive costly replica jewellery types available. At Zaveri Bazaar, you can find the finest and highest-quality authentic diamond jewellery available anywhere in the world. It is possible to browse through the many options available in this market, starting from a particular gemstone or designer semi-precious to imitation jewellery set.
Zaveri Bazaar is a jeweller's heaven, making it one of Mumbai's busiest and most crowded marketplaces. To get unique, eye-catching statement jewellery for a special occasion or wedding, visit Zaveri Bazaar, which is open from Monday to Saturday except for Sundays.
- Where should I get started? Bhuleshwar Temple, in South Mumbai, is situated between Crawford Market and the Mumbadevi Temple. You can start from here.
- When should you make your trip? From 10:00 A.M to 7:30 P.M, Monday to Friday (Sunday closed).
- What do you recommend buying? Jewellery made of precious metals such as gold and diamonds, as well as imitation and nonprecious jewellery.
Also Read: Discover the secrets of Online Pet Shop
Urban Haat, Handicraft’s Paradise
Do you enjoy and value handwork and handcrafted things such as décor items and sculptures, jewellery, and apparel as much as you did when you were younger? If yes, then the Urban Haat is the best location to start your quest for antiques, art from other places, and home décor, among other things.
You should not miss out on the opportunity to try your hand at some very stunning and unique bamboo craft and stone art while you're at Urban Haat.
Where should I get started? CIDCO Urban Haat is located in the central business district of Belapur, Navi Mumbai, next to the railway station.
When should you make your trip? From 11:00 A.M to 10:00 P.M, Monday to Friday.
What do you recommend buying? Bamboo crafts, home décor products, handmade fashion items, and stone art handbags are among the things available for purchase at the marketplace.
Mumbai's markets are well-known for delivering a pleasant shopping experience for its visitors. With simplicity, plan your shopping itinerary for Mumbai markets, including where, when, and what you want to purchase. Instead of delaying your next journey to Mumbai, organise it now to visit the above mentioned well-known markets and sharpen your negotiating skills to get some amazing things at a reasonable price.
Follow Khatabook for the latest updates, news blogs, and articles related to micro, small and medium businesses (MSMEs), business tips, income tax, GST, salary, and accounting.