The Goods and Services Taxation System (GST) has been a gamechanger since its inception in 2017. It has simplified the process of filing of taxes with advances in technology. Now, the process of new GST registration, filing of GST tax returns, getting a refund, GST number search and cancellation of GST registration can all be done within a few clicks.
The Government of India has already launched the official website or the GST Portal for all functions related to GST - www.gst.gov.in to make all tasks related to filing and registration very simple and efficient.
Earlier the process of registration, filing returns, tax assessment, cancellation, refund, etc was very cumbersome and time-consuming. However, with the launch of the gst portal, all tasks related to the filing returns, approval and rejection, tax refund and more have become quite easy.
In the article given below, you will find all information related to online GST Registration in Maharashtra and a simple explanation about MahaGST online portal and Mahagst.Gov.In Login. Keep on reading to know more!
Online GST Registration in Maharashtra
Maharashtra is a state in the western region of India and is the second-most populous state in India. The Maharashtra GST State Code is 27 and mahagst.gov.in is the official website for availing GST services in Maharashtra. With the Mahagst online portal, the ease of doing business has vastly improved in Maharashtra. There has also been a substantial increase in the taxpayer base with the introduction of GST in Maharashtra State.
Who should get GST Registration in Maharashtra?
The following businesses should get registered on mahagst portal for GST registration in Maharashtra -
- Service Provider with an aggregate turnover of more than ₹20 Lakh in a year
- For the supply of goods, the threshold is ₹40 Lakh in a year
- Involved in inter-state supply of goods
- Involved in an online business or supply of goods/services on an e-commerce platform
- The casual taxable person undertaking the seasonal supply of goods through a stall/shop
- A person can also get registered voluntarily
- All persons registered under VAT, Excise, Service Tax, etc
What is the validity of GST Registration in Maharashtra?
The GST registration Certificate is valid in Maharashtra until it is cancelled by the State. However, the Registration of GST for non-resident (NRI) persons and casual taxable persons are temporary and can expire as per the time limit prescribed.
What is the most important prerequisite for getting GST Registration in Maharashtra?
For getting a GST registration in Maharashtra, you must have a valid PAN card. A PAN is compulsory for foreigners, proprietorships, partnerships, LLP, company or trust.
How to Register for GST in Maharashtra?
It is necessary to obtain a GST registration for all businesses and industries based in the State of Maharashtra. The entire process of gst registration is completely online and you do not need to visit any government offices for the same.
Check out the steps for getting GST registration done in Maharashtra -
- Visit the official website for GST login Maharashtra - www.mahagst.gov.in. You will see the homepage of the website.
3. Click on Other Acts Registration
4. Select New Dealer Registration
5. Click on New Registration under various acts. You will find the screen below describing the process and requirements for registration.
6. Click on the Next button at the bottom of the page.
7. Click on New Dealer >> Next
8. Enter your PAN and follow the Registration Process that appears on the screen.
Documents Required for GST Registration in Maharashtra
Category of Persons
Documents Required for GST Regitration
Sole Proprietor/ Individual
Partnership Firm (including LLP)
Hindu Undivided Family (HUF)
What is MahaGST?
MahaGST is a tax administration and online portal used for making GST registrations in the state of Maharashtra and GST online payments simple for the people in Maharashtra. On the GST portal, a taxpayer can get services like GST Registration, file for GST Returns, track a GSTIN, know about GST rules and notifications, latest news and circulars.
Users can also create challans and make payments and also track the progress of these payments and other applications for registrations, filing and refunds. Functions like searching HSN code, locating a GSTP (GST Practitioner) and accessing the e-way bill system is also possible with the online mhahagst portal.
MahaGST administers the following Acts -
- The Maharashtra Value Added Tax, 2002,
- Central Sales Tax Act, 1956,
- Profession Tax Act, 1975,
- The Maharashtra Purchase Tax on Sugarcane Act, 1962,
- The Maharashtra Tax on the entry of goods into local area Act, 2002
Why should you get Registered on the MahaGST Portal?
Here are the benefits of registering on the MahaGST portal for the taxpayers -
- Uniform tax rate on goods and services all through the nation.
- Removes the tax-on-tax or cascading effect of taxes
- Increase in exemption limit for small goods and taxpayers
- Benefit of Composition Scheme for small businesses
- Ease in tax compliance
- Reduced tax evasion
- Clear and transparent tax structure
- Entire GST process is conducted online
GST FIling in Maharashtra under the Composition Scheme
All taxpayers who are registered under the Composition Scheme must file their GST returns in Maharashtra by filing form CMP-08 every quarter and filing form GSTR 4 annually through the online GST portal gst.gov.in or at the GST facilitation center.
The due date for filing GST return in Maharashtra using CMP -08 for taxpayers registered under the Composition Scheme is 18th of the month following the quarter for which return is due.
Important Facts about Maha GST online portal Registration
- Basic Exemption Limit in Maharashtra is ₹ 20 Lakh per year for providers of services and ₹ 40 lakh per year for supply of goods.
- Three types of GST is applicable in Maharashtra -
- Central GST (CGST)
- GST Maharashtra (SGST) or MGST
- Integrated GST (IGST)
- All the previous taxations such as Maharashtra VAT, Maharashtra Service duty, etc have been subsumed under GST
- It may take about 4-6 working days for a new dealer to get GST registration in Maharashtra.
- There is no requirement of depositing security for GST registration in Maharashtra.
Services provided on the MahaGST portal
You can get your business registered to a GSTIN number on the MahaGST portal if you have not done so. There are many benefits of getting a GSTIN number. The GST Number simplifies the process of availiing ITC or Input Tax Credit and makes filing of GST Returns easier. It is vital to have GSTIN for claiming GST refunds and mentioning the same in tax invoice, debit note, credit note, etc.
The following services are available at the Maharashtra GST Portal on the link mahagst.in.
- Login for VAT and Allied Acts
- Profile for Registered Dealers
- RTO Login
Other Acts Regisration
- New Dealer Registration
- RC DOwnload
- URD profile Creation
- GST Registration
- GST Return Filing
- GST Payments
- GST Rate Search
- Know your GST Taxpayer
- e-Payment – Returns
- Return/Order Dues
- e-Payment – Assessment Order
- PTEC OTPT Payment
- E-Payments for Amnesty 2022
What is the Maharashtra GST Amnesty Scheme 2022?
The Government of Maharashtra has announced the Amnesty Scheme in its 2022 Budget to settle old disputes and resolve problems related to tax payments. The scheme is called Maharashtra tax arrears, interest, penalty, or late fees settlement scheme 2022. The term for payment will be from April 1st, 2022 to September 30th, 2022.
The Scheme would benefit about 1 lakh small dealers and covers inter alia arrears of VAT, CST, Entry Tax, Luxury Tax, Purchase Tax, and Professional Tax, etc. along with interest, penalty and late fee thereon.
- Under the scheme, the dealers whose arrears are up to ₹ 10 lakh or less as of April 1, 2022, have an option to pay a lump sum of 20% while the balance of 80% would be waived off by the Department.
- Arrears up to ₹ 10,000 or less per year as per any statutory order passed under the various tax laws implemented by the department are waived off completely
- The Act provides a one-time payment option to avail the benefit of settlement of arrears, whereas arrears more than ₹ 50,00,000 can be paid under an instalment option.
- Other benefits include a 3% stamp duty exemption on gift deeds and a 5% tax exemption on sale deeds.
GST portal has been of immense help to the taxpayers digitizing the complex process of registration, return filing, getting refunds and cancellation of registration. Now the entire process is online and can be done at the click of a button. Moreover, the Maharashtra State Government has also announced Amnesty Scheme with the intent to settle disputes related to the pre-GST era and make the transition to GST smoother and more efficient for taxpayers.