Starting a business while in college is difficult and requires a lot of determination. Having said that, college is the ideal time to begin your entrepreneurial journey. When you're in college, you have fewer obligations and can devote your time, effort and energy to the things that you are passionate about. Not to mention that colleges provide many resources that can assist students set up their businesses. Even if you do not succeed in your first business, it'll be a rewarding experience. In this blog, we've mentioned several business ideas for college students that have a high chance of success. What are these ideas? Keep reading to find out.
Did you know?
Many of the Worlds Largest Incorporations were founded in the garages such as Amazon, Microsoft, Google among others!
Business Ideas for college students
Let us explore some business ideas for college students in India that you can start from your college without them interfering with your studies.
Social Media Management
One of the best businesses to start in college is social media management. Established businesses are looking for help managing their social media accounts because they don't have the time or the skillset to do so themselves.
- A social media manager’s job is to manage the social media networks of their client’s business and implement effective strategies to boost sales.
- Following other influencers or digital marketers can help you learn the ins and outs of the industry.
- It doesn't require much investment; all you need is a laptop and a good internet connection. Then, it can be managed from your hostel or home whenever it is convenient for you.
- Earning potential from this Business is relatively high as almost every company- big or small- hires a Social media manager to manage and promote their business.
So if you have management and strategising skills, starting a Social Media Management Business is worth the shot.
Web Design and Web Development
Regardless of its size, every company now strives to establish an online presence. The company website is one of the ways for businesses to connect with their current and potential customers.
- Becoming a web designer and developer is an excellent college business idea with minimal startup cost.
- Before you begin this venture, you should get some web design training. This is an expertise-based business, hence can demand a lot of time and attention.
- To begin, platforms such as WiX and WordPress, which have prebuilt plugins and themes, can assist you in creating a professional website without requiring much technical knowledge.
- You can advertise your work through your fellow students and professors.
- If your company grows to include larger clients, you may need to learn to code or hire someone who can. You can gain access to many online resources that teach you how to code for a fee.
Getting started with a Web design and Development Business is hard. But if you keep learning and apply your knowledge to build attractive websites for your clients, it won't be long before you make a name for yourself.
Online coaching is one of the most popular business ideas for college students in India. Making money by teaching a subject(s) you excel at is not a bad idea.
- You can begin teaching those subjects online. All you'll need to get started is a computer or laptop with an internet connection.
- You can make the professors of your college aware of your availability as a tutor.
- You are free to schedule your lectures at a time convenient to both you and the students.
- You don't need a large investment to get started and if you're a good teacher, it's possible to earn quite a bit.
Online coaching is just making money by doing something you are good at. For this business to gain traction, you must have the ability to explain hard-to-understand topics in simple words.
Online Course Business
For students with an excellent grasp on various subjects, setting up an online course business is a favourable College Business Idea since students are always on the lookout for good reading material to supplement their studies.
- Udemy and other such companies can buy your online courses and pay you decent money for them.
- Choosing the right online platform will help you make money and build your reputation.
- You can advertise your tutorials on Facebook or build an email list to reach the same audience for future online courses.
- Unlike online coaching, in Online Course Business you design the course only once and keep earning out of it.
There are so many courses available online, and it can cause your business to flop. But if you focus on doing what others don't, you might make it big.
Language transcription service
It is possible to start a transcription service while studying abroad in a country where the native language is different from your own and you are fluent in both languages.
- You could create a workspace for yourself in your hostel by setting up a website where people or businesses can upload documents in a single language.
- You can charge the customer a fee for transcribing documents uploaded to your portal.
- Exchanging the document through your portal saves you time dealing with mail or paper documents.
Being a Language Transcriptionist is probably one of the easiest college businesses since the average Indian knows at least 3 to 4 languages with utmost fluency.
A virtual assistant is an excellent college business opportunity for a student as it can be done from home or college hostels and doesn’t require investment.
- A virtual assistant works remotely to provide technical or administrative services to professionals and businesses. Their job may include scheduling meetings and appointments, managing their calendar, data entry, managing email and communications, making travel arrangements, and more.
- Students can also become virtual assistants to college professors/staff and help them with tasks including grading, preparing presentations, and more.
Being a Virtual Assistant isn't a hard task and can be handled no matter how busy you are with your college life.
Notes Digitization service
Note digitization services can be offered to students, teachers, and university staff by students who have a good hand at typing. You can type the handwritten into word documents, excel sheets, or even PowerPoint presentations for a fee based on the number of words typed.
Again, it's a lucrative side business to start in college for students who want to work from home or their hostels and make some extra cash.
Also read: Best Small Business Ideas Under 1 Lakh
Another popular business for college students is blogging. Blogging requires a lot of effort, but once you get into it and find something you enjoy doing, it becomes a lot of fun.
- To start your blog, you don't need to spend a lot of money. Sites like Blogger.com allow you to get started for free. To get started, you'll need a domain name, hosting, and a laptop.
- In India, it is one of the best ways to make money online. Google AdSense, an affiliate, and a paid promotion or post are all ways of making money from blogging.
If writing something you love and earning through is your dream, then getting into the Blogging Business is an excellent pick.
Event management is one of the most exciting business opportunities for Indian students. A lot of students are involved in the planning of college events. This college business idea also allows them to think outside the box and be creative.
- You can plan a variety of college-level parties and events.
- If you're good at organizing events with the creative use of lights, props, sounds, and colours, you'll be able to attract a good clientele and earn a decent amount.
- To be successful in the event management industry, you must have perseverance, exceptional negotiation skills, a network of people to call on, and the right mindset.
Vlogging is the practice of making and posting videos online on a variety of topics. To begin, post videos to YouTube and put them into your vlog. On YouTube, you can post funny and entertaining videos. They can also focus on a wide range of subjects, including dance, cooking, design, gardening, yoga, health, and more. Students can take advantage of YouTube's channel partner program to generate a steady stream of income.
Unique Food corner
The food industry is gaining in popularity. People look forward to trying new dishes. This is a unique business idea for students if they have a flair for cooking and are willing to try different food recipes.
- This business can be managed after your college hours.
- There is a small investment required to buy the raw materials and cooking gadgets. You can try your hand at new food items and can start small with your college friends and campus. After that, if you get a positive response, you might want to consider going all out.
- Keep experimenting with new foods that people will enjoy eating and keep coming up with new ideas.
An SEO expert is in high demand because he or she can easily rank any website, making it one of the most important topics in the field of digital marketing.
- Many tutorials are available on YouTube and Google, but they don't cover advanced SEO techniques and strategies, so you may need to take paid SEO courses to learn more advanced techniques.
- You can become an SEO consultant as a part-time business along with your studies.
- Your SEO skills will play a major role in deciding whether or not you can turn it into a full-time career.
SEO experts have the potential to earn more than your average engineering student. But the pressure is also higher than normal jobs.
A personal training business on the college campus is one of the most attractive ideas for college students, especially for Fitness lovers. If you're a fitness icon in your college, your mates will also help spread the word about you and your coaching.
- You can start with evening fitness camps or early morning yoga classes for students or other people. You can even start your online fitness classes at your convenience.
- Investment in this business is low because many trainers work out of their clients' homes and don't need to spend money on an office. However, you may decide to open your fitness centre when you have enough clients.
- If you are skilled in sports, you can also work as a personal coach, providing coaching in basketball, football, tennis, badminton, and others. You can begin with private coaching or by joining a sports club.
- This business will allow you to balance your schedule around your classes while also earning a decent income.
If you are someone who got into shape from your lowest point, you could motivate many others to give their best and thus grow your business.
With the ever-growing industry of online businesses, the importance of compelling content writing has increased. A website's content is critical in providing visitors with the information they need and in building a positive perception of the brand. The demand for content writers is soaring as a result of these factors.
One of India's best businesses for college students is freelance content writing.
- You can work at your convenience and earn a good income depending on your writing skills.
- If your content is fresh and engaging, no one can stop you from turning your passion into a money-making business because there is a massive demand for good content writers. In addition, you don't need to put any money into this business to get started.
- There are numerous online resources available to you if you want to pursue a career as a freelance writer. You can find suitable clients on sites such as LinkedIn and Facebook.
College studies are challenging. Business for college students is more challenging. You'll have a lot of early mornings and late nights as a college entrepreneur. You'll have to deal with anxiety and stress on a scale you never imagined. Doubt will try to stop you from moving forward. There will be real sacrifices and difficult decisions to make. Despite this, you're going to enjoy every minute of it. We hope this blog helped you pick a business idea for yourself.
Follow Khatabook for the latest updates, news blogs, and articles related to micro, small and medium businesses (MSMEs), business tips, income tax, GST, salary, and accounting.