FSSAI license is a 14-digit number that is issued to all registered Food Business Operators (FBO). It is divided into five different parts and each part has its significance for customers to understand. It provides quite a lot of information about the food business operator.
According to FSSAI, mandatory mentioning of registration number on invoices provide significant traceability and it helps the authorities to resolve customer complaints in a timely manner. Earlier, FSSAI issued a notice stating that the rule will take effect from October 1, 2022. But due to a strong objection from food business operators, the date got pushed back to January 1, 2022. The decision was taken after consulting with various representatives from FBOs, stakeholders of FSSAI, and also considering the managerial difficulties involved in implementing it.
This post will teach you why you need to state the FSSAI registration number on invoices from 1st January 2022, the process involved to get an FSSAI license and more.
Did you know? FSSAI is one of the largest organizations that monitor the food quality in India?
Sections of FSSAI license:
The FSSAI registration number has to be mentioned on the packaging and invoices along with the FSSAI logo. The 14-digit FSSAI license comprises several sections.
- The first digit states the status and the registration of the business.
- The second and third digits identify the state code of the respective business.
- Digits four and five inform the year in which the food product is manufactured.
- Digits 6,7 and 8 explains the quantity of enrolling master.
- Digits 9,10,11,12,13 and 14 provide the details of the manufacturer license number.
Hopefully, the above information will help you understand the FSSAI registration number and what each digit signifies.
Food Safety and Standards Authority of India was founded in 2011, under the parent agency of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, India. FSSAI takes responsibility for the safety and regulation of food standards in the country. It supervises the quality of the food products. We all can be sure about the quality of any food product once there is an FSSAI mark on it.
It not only deals with packaged products but also provides technical support to the farming sector. It frames rules for all departments that impact food and nutrition in India. The development of international food standards along with training for individuals involved in the food business is one of its key objectives.
Why was FSSAI registration number introduced on invoices:
Presently, the FSSAI number is compulsory to be displayed on packaged food labels only. But the main issue lies in the cases of restaurants, mithai shops, caterers, retail stores, and various other establishments. They are not required to mention the FSSAI number as they do not sell packaged food. In order to bring parity and solve a variety of problems, the FSSAI number needs to be mandatorily stated on their invoices.
- Access to information: This move will help consumers to have access to all the information about a particular food operator business. This information is available on the FSSAI’s portal as well as the food safety connect application.
- Complaint: It will lead to the easier filing of complaints by the consumer. The license number on the bill or cash memo will help them register a complaint against the food operator easily. The food regulators can also easily track the origin of the complaint.
- General awareness about FSSAI will increase after this rule: People became aware of the GST number after it was mentioned on the invoices. Similarly, mentioning FSSAI numbers on the invoices, receipts and memos will lead to a significant rise in awareness about FSSAI. The requirement will generate goodwill and help consumers locate proper reputed and trustworthy FBO’S.
- Easy traceability: With the help of the FSSAI number on the invoices, it is easy to trace the manufacturer of the food. This will resolve the issue of traceability with regards to details of the manufacturer and the manufacturing date of the packaged food.
- Legal requirement: As per section 131 of the Food Safety and Standards Act 2006, all food operators must obtain FSSAI licensing or registration before starting their business.
How to get your FSSAI registration number?
Food Safety and Standard Authority of India provides food license registration numbers. The following is the procedure to get the FSSAI registration number.
- Visit the official website- https://foodlicensing.fssai.gov.in/
- Fill out the form with the appropriate details asked for.
- Submit all the necessary documents.
- All your documents will be verified and issues if any will be resolved within 2 working days.
- The basic FSSAI registration number will be granted within 7 working days and the state and central license will be provided within 30 days.
- FSSAI registration fees: For basic FSSAI registration, you’ll need to pay ₹1799. Registration fees for state and central FSSAI licenses is ₹15000 and ₹20000 respectively.
How to input FSSAI numbers on invoices and bills using Tally Prime?
For food operator businesses, TallyPrime is essential software that does all the billing. All small business operators and shops use this software for billing purposes. The following steps will help you to incorporate FSSAI numbers on the bills and invoices.
- Press Alt + K for the ‘company’ gateway of the tally.
- Select ‘alter’
- Just below your company address, enter the FSSAI number.
- After that, hit the Enter and accept the screen.
When you do these steps correctly, you’ll be able to provide your FSSAI registration number on all the invoices and cash memos you print.
What are the benefits of an FSSAI license for a food business operator?
- It helps the food operator to gain the customer confidence in the overall quality and safety of the food provided to them.
- It removes multiple and redundant regulations regarding food quality checks.
- Ensures fair and legal trade among food operators and customers.
What are the benefits of knowing the FSSAI license as a consumer?
- You can get all the information about the business. Information such as the manufacturing location of the food, the manufacturing date of the product, and so on. By entering the 14-digit number, the consumer can have access to all the information about the food business operator.
- Lodging complaints online by the consumers have been made easier. They can enter the FSSAI number and state their issues in the FSSAI portal itself.
- Immediate action can be taken against any operator found guilty of providing contaminated food.
Consequences of non-compliance:
All food business operators must adhere to all the rules of the FSSAI act. A food safety officer usually inspects facilities, level of compliance, adherence to various food quality standards, the kind of food provided, and whether the invoices and bills contain the FSSAI registration number. Based on the food operator’s compliance/non-compliance/partial compliance, the officer may issue an improvement notice or even cancel the license.
The FSSAI registration number on invoices is mandatory from January 2022 will be a huge step from FSSAI towards ensuring that a consumer gets quality food all the time. It will serve as a perfect checkpoint for unauthorized food operators. Customers can also lodge complaints easily against a food operator with valid reasons. Mentioning of FSSAI number on the invoice will be a new step towards adhering to the rules.
Follow Khatabook for the latest updates, news blogs, and articles related to micro, small and medium businesses (MSMEs), business tips, income tax, GST, salary, and accounting.