The cooking of meat is highly popular throughout the world, especially when there are parties or celebrations. Many people favour chicken, mutton and fish meat as part of their diet. These are many reasons why starting a meat business is a great option if you seek ways to make money.
Meat production will comprise large portions of the food market in the next few years, and it means you're on the right track when picking the right niche. If you intend to sell meat, and all that goes with it, be the most prestigious and develop a lucrative business. It will take more than just passion, and starting a meat business will require a well-planned strategy and some basic understanding.
Did you know?
India has one of the lowest rates of per capita meat consumption.
How Do I Start Meat Export Business in India?
The growing demand for Indian meat in the international market has led to rapid growth in exports, unlike any other time. The Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA Registration), more commonly referred to as APEDA, provides non-stop support to develop animal husbandry infrastructure and export red meat in India.
1. Create a Perfect Business Plan
It is the first stage to begin the meat business. Design it with care and consideration of all necessities. A well-devised plan is vital for every type of business. Name, logo, registration, money investment, licence, profit analysis, a list of documents, etc., matters a lot.
Also Read: How To Set up a KFC Franchise In India
2. Manage Your Finances
Send samples to be approved after receiving the order. It is a crucial procedure for executing the order, which is extremely beneficial and fulfils the client's needs. Terms of payment must be thoroughly discussed, and the specific terms must be defined clearly and in a proper manner.
3. How Can I Contact the Clients?
It is the most important method to reach out to customers. To do this, you need prospective buyers to boost your meat business. You must identify your potential customers. Buyers will be able to approach you when they recognise your most-demanded markets. You can conduct your business online and make attractive offers due to the rise of digitisation in the present and the future.
Digital strategies should be more prominent as people use more internet-based methods to do business. The reach will be greater, and the message will be delivered quickly. You can take follow-ups effortlessly via email or telephone.
4. Space Required to Begin Meat Processing
The processing facility will require a minimum area of 1500 sq. feet. Also, it’s important to select a location that will ensure you can access the raw materials and market. It's necessary to ensure drainage, power, and water. You will need to install a refrigerator system to prevent the growth of bacteria.
Daily sanitisation is essential and must be done to ensure safety and hygiene. Processing equipment for meat is not safe. Therefore, you must employ skilled individuals to operate your company. Training is essential.
5. Registration and Licence
We all know that India produces high-quality buffalo meat that is highly sought-after, and it ensures a successful meat raising and trade. According to the government, before you can begin exporting meat, certain licences are required.
- APEDA Registration: The exporter has to get An APEDA Registration. It's like getting acceptance from the Govt. regarding your products' quality.
- Import Export Code: Import Export Code or IEC is a ten-digit crucial business description number required for International Trading. Additionally, the IEC is registered, and Import Export Code is required when filing for the Registration Membership Certificate, also known as RCMC, to obtain APEDA membership.
- Registering of Firms: The first step is to obtain the Company's Incorporation. According to the procedure, the company needs to be registered with an attractive brand name, logo and text.
- GST Registration: GST registration assists you in gaining your business to become recognised, and it also opens many opportunities for your Company. In addition, it is compulsory to complete GST registration for each business.
- FSSAI Registration: A spice powder can be a food product. Therefore it is necessary to obtain a food processing licence or FSSAI Registration, which is essential for the meat selling industry.
- Halal Certification: The document is issued from the Muslim authority of the country exporting it. It certifies that an agri-food product or pharmaceutical product meets the specifications required by Islamic law to be consumed by the Muslim people. Halal Certification becomes mandatory when you decide to export meat to Islamic countries.
- Trade Licence: A trade licence is an official document that allows the person to open any type of business or trade within a particular region. Therefore, getting a Trade Licence from the local authorities is essential.
6. List of Raw Materials for Meat Processing
- Edible oil
If you feel an investment in raw materials and machinery will not be sufficient, government loan schemes support small businesses to grow fast.
7. Processing of Meat
Many methods are used to process meat, and meat selling will only be possible once you process meat. We provide you with some methods for making meat.
The initial step in processing meat is the slaughtering of animals, and the next step is trimming the carcass and trimming and segregating the various organs. After that, you need to sterilise the meat to eliminate the bacteria that may be present within the meat.
The bacteriological qualities in the meat determine the duration of sterilisation, and the characteristics of the meat also determine it. The presence of a large amount of fat within the animal could influence the process of sterilisation.
Other aspects include slaughtering conditions and the sanitary conditions following the slaughter. After this, the meat is simmered in the sauce with the other ingredients and then canned at the end. The final step is meat selling.
8. List of the Machinery Needed for Meat Plant
- Automated rapid patty maker
- Meat grinder
- Dehydrator and hydrator
- Meat mixer
- Sausage stuffer
- Sausage linker
- Chillers and slaughtering arrangements
- Vacuum sealer
Transport is an integral part of any business. It is important to create plans to reduce your transport costs to make good profits. It is more beneficial to purchase the equipment and machinery you require instead of leasing/renting.
The next stage is the packaging. When packaging processed meat, you must follow all the protocols and adhere to quality standards. Also, it must meet the terms of quality inspection. Exporting can help you get high revenue in meat selling. However, it is not an easy task since it's perishable. So, you need to adhere to the quality control procedures. You should use palletised Packaging to minimise the chance of contamination. Also, you must ensure the use of plastic wrap and vacuum wrapping techniques.
Processing meat is complicated because it involves several stages. However, having accurate and trustworthy information will make it much easier to establish and manage. There is no reason to stop you from achieving your goals, especially when you partner with the top suppliers and attract clients daily. Sell good meat, and your clients will go nowhere except your shop to buy meat in future!
Follow Khatabook for the latest updates, news blogs, and articles related to micro, small and medium businesses (MSMEs), business tips, income tax, GST, salary, and accounting