In numerous occasions, most of us felt compelled to help the environment by planting either trees or plants to increase the vegetation and improve overall ambiance of our surrounding. Constant rise in global warming and the negative effects of unpredictable climate change as a result of increasing urbanization and forest destruction calls for trees and plant plantation in a larger scale. To mitigate the harmful effects of global warming, the government has taken required steps and launched efforts to improve the environment.
You can earn money while protecting the environment by starting a nursery business in India. There are mutual benefits you can avail and you can also protect the environment through your business. In this post, we will learn about how to start a nursery business in India, what are the requirements to starting a nursery business in India and more.
Did You know? The extraction of seeds without destroying them from a fully grown fruit for harvesting is the effective way to start plant cultivation. The extracted seeds should then be used for plantation, and the seeds must be put in seedbeds or germination trays to grow. This is the easiest and cost effective way to start your plant nursery business.
What is a Plant Nursery?
Although we are all familiar with the concept of a nursery, most of us may be unfamiliar with what is a plant nursery. A plant nursery is a place in which a plant is fully raised with the necessary care needed. Apart from that, it also cells seedlings, saplings, and all kinds of planting material used for planting.
Different Types of Plant Nurseries
You need to have hands on knowledge about various types of plant nurseries before starting your own plant nursery business. This will help you to identify which one suits you the best. Here is a list for you to get started with.
- Flower Nursery: They are known as ornamental nurseries, and they're usually the most popular and in demand most of the time. Everyone loves flowers, and because they are seasonal, you don't need to care for them all year. Gladiolus, Lilly, Roses, Marigolds, Salvias, Tecoma, portulaca, jasmine, hibiscus, asters, and tiny roses are some of the popular flowers with which you can start your flower nursery.
- Vegetable nursery: People are increasingly turning to growing vegetables in order to avoid eating pesticide-filled vegetables. Many different vegetable plants, such as spinach, tomato, radish, sweet potato, peas, brinjal, and pumpkin can be grown in a vegetable nursery.
- Fruit Nursery: Many people nowadays are starting to cultivate their own fruit. Usually, fruits demand a lot of attention, but they pay off handsomely. Apricot, Tangerines, Mango, Guava, Oranges, Ordinary fig, Blackberry, Jackfruit, lemons, banana, tropical, apple, Indian sweet lime, dragon fruit, coconut, and other native fruits are among the most popular fruits you can plant in your fruit nursery.
- Medicinal plant Nursery: People are embracing and turning to natural solutions for certain medical conditions, as the enthusiasm for Ayurveda and natural cures for diseases continue to grow. Many medicinal plants are now used in cosmetic products. Bryophyllum, aloe vera, vetiver lemongrass, Sagar got, curry leaves; vasaka, costus igneus, and other therapeutic plants can be grown in medicinal plant nurseries.
- Forest Nursery: Saplings are grown in a forest nursery, which will eventually grow into trees. You can grow trees like eucalyptus, pine, oak, and teak. Depending on available area and resources, you can plant and grow trees that are mentioned above.
How to Get a Nursery Plant License in India?
A nursery plant business falls under the agriculture department, and you'll need an agriculture license to get started. Your state government will grant you with legal agriculture license. Apart from that, here are the licences you need to get started with your plant nursery business.
- Land permit: in order to start your plant nursery business, you must to get a land permit from the local authority of your city. Since it is a commercial unit, this is a must required document.
- Inspection by the state government authority: after you get your land permit, the next step is to go for an inspection by your state government authority from the agriculture department.
- The final step is to get the permission to use the electricity for commercial use from your local electricity board.
Steps for Setting Up a Nursery Business in India
There are certain steps to be followed before starting your nursery business.
- Identify a suitable land: Finding an adequate and fertile land is the first step in starting any agricultural business. The land required for the development of a nursery does not have to be extremely large. You can even use the backyard of your home for starting your nursery business, and in fact, it will give you more profit. Basic agricultural land requirements should be addressed, such as soil fertility, nutrition, moisture content, non-toxicity, and the absence of termites and other insects. All of these elements play an important role in plant growth, hence you need to get this absolutely right.
- Soil: If you want to grow your plants and trees really well and healthy, you should give a variety of soil types to meet its needs. You may have to spend a little extra money on selecting the right quantity and quality of the soil. After you've purchased the soil, you can divide the property into sections for different trees and plants. To make the land more productive, use classic ploughing methods.
- Obtaining Saplings and Seeds: You'll need seeds and saplings of the appropriate plant you want to grow in your land. You can buy them from various gardening companies. If you are cutting stems from existing plants, it is important to apply the correct technique. Remember to cut the stems from a plant diagonally at the top when cutting, and straight at the bottom when trimming the extra stems. When spreading seeds, leave reasonable space between plants so that they can grow freely and receive adequate nutrients and sunlight.
- Soil: The third critical component to grow your plant healthier is to provide the right soil. While there is natural soil, adding some more healthier soil with the proper amount of manure and moisture will dramatically increase plant growth.
- Tools: Simple tools for cutting and shaping the plants should be kept in your plant nursery at all times. Some tools for ploughing, as well as equipment for spraying and applying pesticides, will be useful, but bulky and expensive instruments are not required to start a plant nursery.
- Fertilizers and related Chemicals for your plant nursery: Insects and pests can harm your plants and destroy your flowers and fruits, despite your best efforts. Use pesticides, fungicides, insecticides, herbicides, and other chemicals to keep your plants from getting affected by insects. These chemicals are sold in spray bottles, and all you have to do is spray them on your plants. However, don't overdo it, since it can be harmful to both the plants and the soil. Fertilizers aid in the acceleration of plant development. It ensures the plants' proper growth and feeds them with the minerals they require. The ideal manures for this purpose are organic manures, however, artificial fertilizers are also widely used. Chemicals and fertilizers are easy to purchase.
- Hiring Other People: Machines can't do everything, so you'll need labour to complete a variety of tasks in your nursery. It would be beneficial if you have someone to help with planting, pesticide spraying, irrigation, trimming, weeding, and other tasks related to your plant growth. If you plan to start on a small scale, though, you can manage the task yourself and save money.
- Marketing your business: Once you've finished setting up your nursery, it's time to get the news out and you can do it in a variety of ways. Newspaper advertising, door-to-door campaigning, creating your websites, are some of the ways to get started.
Also Read: How to Start a Vegetable Business in India
We hope that this article is useful for you in knowing about the Nursery Business in India, how to get a license for nursery business, and the other requirements of starting a nursery business in India. Follow the appropriate requirements and you will be well on your way in successfully setting up your Plant nursery business!
Follow Khatabook for the latest updates, news blogs, and articles related to micro, small and medium businesses (MSMEs), business tips, income tax, GST, salary, and accounting.