Do you have vast and deep knowledge about a specific field? Or have enough experience to back it up? Then you can be a consultant and start your own consultancy business for individuals or a company and earn a side income from it. A consultancy business helps various individuals or business organisations provide solutions or guidance where they are experiencing problems. Therefore, opening a consultancy business can prove beneficial if you have specific knowledge or expertise regarding a field. Let's learn about this business and how to open a consultancy firm in India in this article.
Who is a consultant?
A consultant is a person who has a profound knowledge of a specific field or business. They are willing to give their point of view and insights to individuals or businesses facing issues in those fields with a nominal fee.
What is a consultancy business?
Consultancy business involves a group of highly-skilled, qualified and experienced people who conduct proper research and analysis to provide solutions to a client’s problem.
Advantages and Disadvantages of a Consultancy Business:
Like a coin, consulting jobs have two sides, namely ups and downs. Each company you work for will bring you unique and often conflicting experiences.
Advantages of Consultancy Business:
- It can be rewarding
When you are a consultant, everyday life becomes unique in its way. Every day can present you with new challenges! And each project's success adds to your company's reputation.
- Fast-paced and gives you a sense of freedom
Consultants are often hired in desperate moments to resolve a desperate situation. Working such a demanding job is perfect for someone who loves the challenges of solving problems.
- You will constantly learn
Consultants are experts in their fields and to earn this badge, they must constantly learn and adapt to new trends in their industry. As a result, they can assist businesses in developing strategies to stay ahead of their competitors.
Disadvantages of Consultancy Business:
- Income instability
There is a certain degree of instability at work as a consultant. You never know precisely when and where your services will be needed next. Working full time as a consultant can be stressful for people who depend on a very stable income.
- There are constant changes
You may need to be uprooted and moved within a state or even across the country on short notice. Also, in the ever-changing world, you need to be updated on your field of expertise to meet your client's needs and requirements.
Balancing the pros and cons can help you understand whether an advisory role is better for you. If you are unsure, you can try it first as a part-time job.
Also Read: Top 10 Business Ideas After Lockdown
Types of Consultancy Business:
Before we dive in on how to establish your own consultancy, let us look at the types of them:
- Marketing Consultancy Business:
Marketing is a vast field of work, which makes it a rich option for consultants. From email marketing to paid acquisition to content production, there are many areas in which marketing consultants can help. These consultants will generally develop new strategies to help companies better target or convert their key demographics.
A bachelor's degree in marketing or communications is the ideal first step to becoming a marketing consultant, but it often depends on your work experience. In the world we live in, your degree, diploma or certificate will usually be outdone by your expertise and willingness to learn, so as long as you have the necessary marketing experience, you are ready to succeed.
- Operations Consultancy Business:
Another broad type of advice is operations. An operations consultant uses data and research to help a company optimise its operations or improve its operational performance. For example, they might be tasked with reducing costs, increasing business efficiency, or enhancing the company's productivity. They can also be used to focus on managing individual teams. People in this line of advice must have a proven track record of improving processes within one company, ideally multiple companies. You should also be familiar with research and data analysis for business, finance, or business experience to be helpful.
- Financial Consultancy Business:
Helping companies manage their finances more effectively is a highly requested service. Employees in this role may be tasked with identifying cuts to improve profits or protect, restructure, or maximise profits. Small businesses often don't have the need or the budget to hire a finance manager full time; therefore, a professional financial advisor can fill the gap. On the other hand, larger companies can get into a tight spot and need outside financial advice to get them on the right track.
- Compliance Consultancy Business:
Ensuring that your business complies with state and local laws and regulations is an essential part of being an entrepreneur. Strong knowledge of state and local laws is a must for any compliance advisor. It is imperative to being a successful consultant when it comes to compliance. The litigation is not to be taken lightly. Anyone seeking compliance consulting generally needs a bachelor's degree in a related area, such as business administration or law. This ma kes sure that you are legally clean in your own business, and you do not need to worry about courts.
- IT Consultancy Business:
A technology consultant is hired to ensure that software and technology are working as per requirements to ensure the productivity level of the employees. If this is the case, the advisor will make recommendations and make changes to improve things. IT consultants can be hired for a variety of tasks, including software administration and data analysis. Individuals in these positions may also be in charge of ensuring that devices and programmers are secure so that private information is not hacked.
Steps to set up your own Consultancy Firm in India:
Make sure you have the required qualifications:
If you wish to provide valuable advice that can help other individuals or businesses, make sure that you have enough up to date knowledge in that field. Having graduation or post-graduation is the essential qualification required for becoming a consultant.
Choose your niche:
Select your field of expertise when starting a consultancy business. You can choose one of the types of consultancy business as discussed in the above section or an area which you are good at.
Develop a consultancy business plan:
Developing an effective plan on how to start a consultancy firm in India is an integral step. Plan each step of your business with proper research, establish your budget and location. You can also hire employees if you want.
Get consultancy license:
After acquiring desired skills and qualifications, the next step is to have a government-approved license. This will help your client to gain faith in you and urge them to use your service. Acquiring a license will help you evade any problems you may face setting up your business. Since you are a licensed individual, you can seek help from the government itself.
Decide Target audience:
Now you have your skills and license. You need to fix which type of clients you will be dealing with. Choose an ideal client. The more specific you choose, the more it will stand out from the rest.
Select a Location:
After thinking about all of this, you need to pick your perfect location to establish your own consultancy business. This location must be reasonably close for everyone to drop by and be such that it will easily be seen by maximum people, For example, near a business hub, market place or residential area. Take a survey and see what is missing from your locality, which the people require.
Advertise your consultancy business:
You can start your website or list your services on various websites to garner the attention of your target audience. Provide your contact information and other details on these sites so that it's easier for people to book an appointment with you.
Also Read: How To Start A Scrap Business In India?
How to start consultancy? - Its advantages
You can make your home office a start for your consultancy business.
- Low indirect costs: You don't have to worry about paying rent or office bills; You will appreciate this feature until you have built a regular customer base.
- Flexibility: There is no question that as a home consultant, you have a lot of flexibility. You can set your work hours and take time off when you need it.
- No nightmares at rush hour: This is a welcome change at home for anyone who has had to travel to and from work during peak hours.
- Ideal marketing: You need to market your services so that it reaches to maximum people and are attractive enough to get a callback. You need to understand deeply who you will target and what they will feel upon reading your message. You need to understand them as if they are your close friends. Once you figure this out, the clients will flood in on your desk!
- Perfect pricing: Now you are ready to decide your pay, but how? Generally, the fee you charge must coincide with your results. It's a vital step on how to start consultancy business. There are many advanced methods to deciding price, but we will stick to the beginner level basics. The absolute way is to charge on an hourly basis. Clients like to invest higher fees when they work with an expert, knowing they will get the results they want. After some projects, you can start by giving out options to broaden your charges.
- Meaningful conversation: You are almost there to establish your own consultancy company. Everything is set; the client is on the door, but how do you work your way and land a check on your desk. To find out if you have an ideal customer, talk with the client about your business, goals, and challenges. Present your offer if your experience can help solve these problems and get them where they want to be.
- Cold calling: You can use this technique to call individuals or firms and pitch your service to them by catering for their particular needs.
- Prepare in advance: You need to have a basic understanding of the business or firm to which you are calling or interviewing. Also, you need a pitch ready when you are contacting a client. Express your opinion and listen to the needs of the clients and pitch accordingly. Therefore, you need to focus on what the potential client could face in their business or is currently facing and how you can solve that problem. This aspect increases the chance of them hiring you.
In these ways, you can land various clients for your consultancy business.
Nowadays, experts are required by everyone to guide an individual. So if you can handle fast-paced life, get used to travelling on short notice, and help solve problems, you can establish your own consultancy business in India. Pick your niche after careful consideration of the different types of consultancy business. You can follow the steps discussed above to start a consultancy firm in India to establish a successful firm in the country. Download the Khatabook app for more business tips.