A credit score is used to determine a person's creditworthiness or ability to pay back the debt on a given day. The CIBIL Score is a three-digit numeric (between 300-900) summary of your credit history, rating, and report calculated by the Credit Information Bureau (CIBIL). The CIBIL score is the most widely used credit score in India.
When you apply for a loan, your banks will conduct a credit check on you and generate a credit report based on your credit record.
Credit history records a borrower's ability to make timely debt payments.
Did you know? Not having a credit history doesn't mean an excellent CIBIL score!
CIBIL will not provide a credit report or credit score to an individual who has never used a credit card or borrowed money, whether for a home loan or personal loan since they have never availed credit and have no previous history.
How to improve CIBIL score?
It is important to first address issues that can affect your credit score. Some of these issues include:
- Inaccurate Information has been fed: Following the discovery of erroneous information, you may register a dispute with the credit reporting organisation via their website. You may use the procedures indicated on this page to get CIBIL. The information in your report will stay intact if lenders confirm that the information included within it is correct. In this case, you must communicate directly with the lender to clarify.
- Defaults in Making Payments:
- Disputes with a lender due to fraud: Call the lender immediately if you encounter a fraudulent transaction mentioned in the report. Your complaint is investigated by the lender, who then makes a final judgement. It is important to resolve such difficulties as soon as possible to prevent a negative influence on your credit score.
- Fee/annual fee disagreements with a lender include the following: The credit card or loan you want to apply for may come with extra costs that you should be aware of before applying. Some fees, such as penalty, processing cost, issuance fee, replacement fee, transfer fee etc., may only demand payment once. Others may require payment regularly, such as a pre-closure fee. It would be best to grasp how and when they apply to be successful. If you did not pay attention to them during the registration procedure and later disputed the charges, it would hurt your credit rating.
- Financial distress: It is a state of being unable to pay one's bills. Suppose you have fallen behind on payments due to genuine financial difficulties, such as job loss or an unexpected event. In that case, you may be able to make up the difference when your financial situation improves. Also important is that you inform the lender of your financial situation to avoid initiating any legal action that might negatively impact your credit history.
- Notification of non-receipt of the statement: If you did not get your credit card statement, you probably missed making the needed payment. However, the terms and conditions say that you are still responsible for paying the outstanding balance regardless of whether or not you get the statement. Your justification for non-payment will be ruled inadmissible. A late payment fee will be applied in addition to the service charge if you do not make your payment on time. Make every effort to resolve the situation as soon as possible to prevent a negative influence on your credit score.
- The process of moving on a worldwide or domestic scale: The transfer of your loan and credit card accounts is just as important as the transfer of your savings account when you are transferring your residence. Notify your lenders of your relocation intentions. Alternatively, you may find yourself paying significant late fees, service charges, and missed payments. Additionally, this harms your credit score. To keep your credit card or loan operational at all times, even after the migration, you must maintain active savings account linked to your credit card or loan.
What does Credit Repair mean, and how do Credit Repair Agencies work?
- Credit Repair is the process of fixing a poor credit score that could have resulted from any number of reasons.
- With the aid of a credit repair company, you may improve your credit score by registering a dispute and working with a credit repair company to resolve it. You must provide a detailed summary of your debts and any supporting evidence to explain your position regarding your credit score.
- Individuals who have credit difficulties and want to improve their credit score might seek assistance from an organisation known as a credit repair agency. Consumers may not file complaints asking for a credit score restoration because they lack the essential information and time. These customers may seek help from credit repair companies to resolve their issues. It is advisable to investigate the validity of a credit restoration firm before giving them your sensitive information.
How to Improve CIBIL Score Immediately?
This list of seven steps might assist you in improving your credit score. Before proceeding, you should get your CIBIL Score updated. You must, however, follow through on these strategies on a constant basis and keep track of your Personal Loan EMIs and Credit Card monthly payments.
- Apply for more credit while staying within your credit limit: You do not want to give the impression that you are always in need of credit. Apply for new credit only if you need it and can repay it; do not apply for new credit just because you want it. Excessive debt may have a detrimental impact on your credit score and your overall financial situation.
- Excessive amounts are, well, excessive: Credit should only be utilised with caution. Avoid taking on a large quantity of debt all at the same time. Maintaining a strict limit on the number of loans you apply for throughout a certain period is recommended. To prevent a credit score decline, pay off one loan before applying for another. If you take out many loans at the same time, it is evident that you are locked in an unforgiving cycle of insufficient financial resources. A result of this is that your credit score will continue to deteriorate.
How can you improve your CIBIL score in a short period? When you take out a loan and make on-time payments on it, your credit score will rise.
- Gradually establish a solid track record: Debt is often required. On the other hand, the goal is to get the proper kind of debt and manage it responsibly. When taking out a loan, it is possible to choose a longer-term to keep the monthly instalments low. Furthermore, you may be able to increase your credit limit.
How may this assist you in improving your CIBIL score? It does not indicate that you will spend more money due to this decision. The key is to have a significant quantity of credit and keep your credit utilisation rate as low as possible to impact your credit score positively. With time, you may be able to build a strong credit score that will allow you to qualify for loans that are both quick and competitive.
- It is ideal to have a combination of secured (such as a house loan or vehicle loan) and unsecured (such as a personal loan or credit card) loans with differing conditions to build a solid credit score. Unsecured loans taken out in excess may be seen negatively.
- Review co-signed, guaranteed, and joint accounts every month: If you fail to make a payment on a co-signed, guaranteed, or jointly owned account, you will be held equally responsible. The failure of your joint holder (or guaranteed person) to act responsibly may impede your ability to get credit when you need it. It is recommended that you avoid taking on the role of joint account holder or loan guarantor.
- Make on-time payments on your debts: Have you fallen behind on your EMI? Have you ever forgotten to make a payment on your credit card? Then get yourself together! You should set up payment reminders and maintain a strict credit discipline policy. Your ability to pay off past-due obligations might have a substantial impact on your credit score in the future. Not only can late payments on EMIs result in a penalty, but they also have a negative influence on your credit score. If you want to improve your CIBIL score, pay your bills on time and build a high score as a result of doing so. Make use of a tool that allows you to automate bill payments to ensure that you never miss a payment due. It will improve your CIBIL score.
- Regularly review your credit history throughout the year: It is to ensure that it is in good standing. Regularly review your CIBIL score and Reports to verify that there are no anomalies in your financial situation. In updating your data, CIBIL may make mistakes, which may include inserting false information in your report and delaying the recording of facts in your report. It is possible that a debt you have paid off has not been updated on your credit report, which might have a negative impact on your credit score. You should fix any errors as soon as possible if they are discovered.
We have extensively covered how CIBIL Score can be improved or increased and how you can do it (yourself or with help of a CIBIL Score repair agency). You must make efficient use of the capital you possess, invest it intelligently, clear your debts on time and should not let your credit build-up in order to increase your Credit Score. Use the above information to repair or maintain a good CIBIL Score and make sound financial decisions.
Do you have issues with payment management and GST? Install the Khatabook app, a friend-in-need and one-stop solution for all issues related to income-tax or GST filing, employee management and more. Try it today!