Consulting business is all about giving expert advice on a particle field to the people seeking help in the same field and charging a fee. Business consulting can be lucrative and luxurious if you have the right knowledge and a big name.
If you're wondering how to start a consulting business, you're at the right place. Most importantly, you don't need a huge setup for starting this business. Also, your business setup can be very easy for you if you've already worked for any consultant company.
You can also sell your consulting services at a pretty high cost, but you need to cover the path, and we're here to discuss the same.
Did you know?
The Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry estimated that the Indian consulting industry would be worth ₹27,000 crores by 2020.
Consulting Business Plan: Take a Shortcut to Success
What Type of Business Consultant Do You Wish to Be?
- Business: Are you able to assist businesses in turning profits? If you're a professional with a business sense, you'll be a great consultant for the business.
- Advertising: You may be employed by companies to create an effective and strategic campaign for advertising.
- Taxes: A tax advisor provides businesses with legal ways to pay the lowest amount of tax possible.
- Accounting: Accounting can be something that every company needs regardless of size. You can create your own Accounting consultant business to assist businesses with all financial requirements.
- HR: Many businesses are struggling with the shortage of the right employees. So, consultants who specialise in HR can enjoy the endless number of companies. They can also assist businesses by sourcing good candidates.
- Auditing: From experts who review utility bills for small scale businesses to those who manage major tasks for telecom companies Auditing consultants are reaping the benefits of their work.
- Counselling for career: They assist their clients towards a profession or job that helps them be satisfied and productive as employees. Do you have the skills? Try it!
- Content writing: We all know that most business professionals have difficulty creating reports or even a memo. You can start a content writing consulting business to help them out.
- Insurance: Everyone requires insurance, and everyone requires an insurance advisor to help find the right policy and the best price.
How to Start a Consultancy Business?
Find Out Your Target Market
- Discover who all can be your prospective clients.
- Are you looking into large corporations? Or would you rather serve smaller enterprises?
- Maybe your services will be sought out by non-profit organisations. Prepare the consultancy business plan of your services accordingly.
Tell Your Customers the Motives to Hire You!
Most consultants are hired because:
- To influence others.
- To find out about issues.
- Of their knowledge.
- To instruct in tough times.
Be sure that your business consultancy team has these characteristics.
Make Yourself Appear as a Professional
Consider this scenario - Who earns more? A general doctor or a brain surgeon? That’d be a brain surgeon since he is an expert. A specialist in brain surgery sees fewer patients but earns higher than an average doctor. Why? The brain surgeon can be described as a specialist, whereas a general physician is a generalist.
If you start your own consulting company, you'll need to decide that you do not want to be a generalist. Clients would appreciate it more if they hired you to offer help in a specific department, SEO, or Facebook marketing.
Also, an expert can be more expensive and earn more income than someone calling himself a digital marketing expert. In the same way, a sales copywriter or fashion copywriter could earn more than a standard copywriter who is proficient in all types of writing.
Manage Your Income & Billing
You can set your fees.
- Before you determine your pricing check out the other experts in your local area who are charging for their services.
- Find out what the competitors' rates are. Simply calling them to request their brochures and rates is enough. You can then set your rates to be competitive with the rest of the neighbourhood.
- When setting your rates, have various options to choose from, such as the hourly rate or project-based fees. You can also work based on a retainer.
- Before you print your fees in the pamphlets, ensure that you have included all of your expenses. There's nothing more disappointing than noting down your fees, getting paid on time by your client, and later finding out that you didn't include several expenses that occurred. Also, be sure to handle the administrator calculations.
Certificates and Licences for Consultants
Certifications depend upon the consultant's chosen field. For instance, financial consultants like chartered accountants or cost accountants will require certification from ICAI. For the import and export of products or services, you must have the registration code of IEC (Import Export Code). Web developers must obtain certificates from the appropriate IT organisations/institutions. IRDA Registration is needed for selling insurance. If a consultant sells mutual funds, they must obtain an AMFI registration.
Locations and Employee
You don't need a huge upfront capital while establishing your consultancy. But, the location and hiring could require significant funds. Working from home at first is an option for a while until you cover the territory.
It can offer many advantages, such as tax advantages and flexibility, aside from the obvious savings on expenses. As the business grows and you hire employees for the business, it needs more area and a better location.
Contracts in a Consulting Business
A contract is a legally binding arrangement between yourself as a consultant and your clients, and it should define the task you've committed to doing and the amount your client has signed up to. In comparison, contract requirements can differ across states, and however, all contracts must:
- Be a particular title.
- Outline the reason for the contract and what each party has to do to comply with the contract.
- Determine the parties in question, using the complete names of the individuals, contact details, tax identification, etc.
- It is important to ensure that both parties have duly signed and approved the contract.
- In the description, include the amount due for these services and the date this amount is due.
- Define the scope and type of the services to be provided.
- Include a clause governing the possibility of ending the contract by either of the parties.
- Determine the duration of the agreement. It includes its start and ending dates.
How Do I Structure My Services?
You added simplicity to determine fair and consistent pricing rates for your services. Similarly, you must organise your services to your clients and be easy to stick to no matter how involved in a project you get. Be as clear as you can in describing how you will provide your service and the cost for bolstering your work by incorporating additional add-ons.
It's crucial to be aware of when to refuse an opportunity that's not right for you. As a consultant, your reputation and track record of success are vital to your company's success. It's best to assess the dangers of each client project. If the client's expectations are unrealistic, or you're not able to help, we recommend rejection.
You can start a consulting business and aim to become the knowledge bank in your niche. If your consultation services manage to help the people, there's no doubt that you'll get more and more advice seekers. Even some solo business setup consultants are earning greatly, so there are high chances for a company for the same. To begin with, you can plan a small consultancy firm and then plan to expand it later.
Follow Khatabook for the latest updates, news blogs, and articles related to micro, small and medium businesses (MSMEs), business tips, income tax, GST, salary, and accounting.