The Indian banking system has embraced digital banking in a big way. It all began in the late 1990s when ICICI bank pioneered digital banking, offering its clients digital products and services. Today leading private banks offer their entire range of banking services digitally, offering the customer the convenience of opening a bank account and transacting from the comforts of their homes. Online banking was estimated to be more than 15 crore users in FY 2020-21 (as per the report of the Boston Consulting Group). With the central government’s vision of a cashless economy and sustained efforts to improve internet and broadband access, digital payments have gained increasing acceptance. UPI transactions are a key component of this revolution in digital payments. As per the NPCI (National Payment Corporation of India) report, nearly 1/3rd of Indian households are using digital payments in some form or other.
Did you know?
India had 540.5 crore UPI transactions valued at ₹96000 crores in March’22? Launched in mid-2016 by NPCI, UPI has become the de-facto mode for merchant and peer-to-peer transactions, as it allows users to debit and credit easily and round the clock. UPI Ids are unique and different for banks and third-party Apps, for those who would ask “how to find my UPI ID”.
What Is UPI ID?
UPI stands for Unified Payment Interface. UPI is a digital payment system through which a user can receive and transfer through a Virtual Payment Address (VPA). The money is directly credited or debited to/from the customer's bank account.
All major PSU banks and almost all the private banks offer UPI facilities to their account holders. However, UPI is more popular on third-party apps like Google Pay, BHIM, and Paytm.
UPI ID or Virtual Payment Address (VPA) is the unique ID created to send or receive money through UPI. A UPI Id linked with a UPI-enabled bank enables the user to send or receive money from their bank account without having to reveal the bank account details. The user can use just the UPI Id with the payer to receive money to the linked bank account.
UPI IDs can be different for different Apps. For example, Paytm creates a UPI ID in the format phonenumber@paytm. In some other Apps, the UPI ID may vary as per the bank linked to the account, like name/username@bankname.
How to Know Your UPI ID?
Your UPI ID is an address that uniquely identifies you on UPI. It is usually yourname@ bank name or bank username@bankname.
There are lots of UPI Apps available for use on smartphones. Besides BHIM App, many private and PSU banks provide their own UPI payments App. There are also very popular third-party apps, like Google Pay, Phone Pe, Paytm, Mazon Pay, and Freecharge. Each of these Apps partners with a bank to handle UPI transactions and therefore uses the UPI handle of the bank.
Example: @okaxis, @ybl, @okhdfc, @oksbi, @icici, @kotak, and @paytm.
UPI and Apps
UPI payments are very widely used on the Apps. The popular Apps with UPI features are:
- Google Pay
- Phone Pe
- SBI Pay
- Axis Pay
- BOB UPI
These UPI Apps play a vital role in facilitating digital payments in India. Cashless transactions using UPI Apps came out as a real boon to families during the recent C-19 pandemic when going out and shopping for essentials were restricted. Citizens across the country shifted to online purchases using UPI payment. The digital payments trend has continued, albeit at a reduced scale, even as normalcy returns to people's lives and the county’s economy.
How to Check UPI ID Across Different Payment Platforms
We’ll look at how to find UPI ID on some popular apps.
a) How to find UPI ID on Google Pay: Google pay is a popular and widely used UPI payment app.
- Open the Google Pay app, and log in to the app using a google passcode or fingerprint/pattern authentication.
- Click on the profile icon at the top right corner.
- You can view the UPI address and the default bank added on the screen
- To change or add a bank account linked to the App, click on edit on the bank account
- You can change/select the bank handler from @okaxis, @okicici, @okhdfcbank, and @oksbi. It may be noted that only the bak handler can be changed, not the id before the handler.
b) How to find UPI ID on BHIM App:
- Open the BHIM App on the smartphone and log in with the four-digit App passcode.
- Click on the profile icon from the bottom menu on the main screen
- You can now view the UPI ID on the screen along with the QR Code
- A new UPI of choice can be added by selecting Add new UPI ID from the icon on the right side
- Enter your chosen UPI ID and submit. It will be accepted if available.
- Any UPI ID can be set as the default UPI ID.
c) How to find UPI ID in the Paytm app:
- Open the BHIM App on the smartphone
- Log in with the App passcode or phone pattern/password
- Swipe from the left to open the menu, and tap on the profile icon
- Tap on settings from the menu
- Tap on payment settings and select the saved payment details option
- You can view the Paytm app’s UPI ID and the linked bank account
- Paytm doesn’t provide the option of creating a new UPI ID as of now
d) How to find UPI ID in Phone Pe:
- Open the Phone Pe app on the smartphone
- Login with the App ID or fingerprint authentication
- Tap on the profile icon at the top left corner of the screen
- Tap on the ‘My BHIM UPI ID’ option on the new page
- The UPI ID linked to your bank account is visible now
- A new UPI of choice can be added by tapping on ‘Add new BHIM UPI ID.’
- It may be noted that up to three UPI IDs can be added. However, one default has to be selected to receive or make payments.
e) How to find your UPI ID on Mobikwik?:
- Open the Mobikwik app
- Tap the bank account at the top right corner of the page to know the UPI ID you are looking for
- The UPI ID is the mobile number you have registered with the platform, followed by @ikwik.
- The process of finding your UPI ID is quite simple on Mobikwik (as compared to the other UPI Apps)
Mobikwik UPI App is also widely used by many people for UPI payments because of its simplicity of the App.
f) What is my UPI ID in Amazon pay:
- Open the Amazon App on your smartphone
- Swipe from the left to open the menu; tap on your account option
- From the Amazon Pay section, tap on the ‘Amazon Pay UPI’ option on the new page
- You can see the UPI ID in the Amazon App, the QR code, and the linked bank account
- You can create a new UPI ID by tapping on the “Create new UPI ID” option
- Enter the new UPI of choice, and click on create new UPI ID
- Upto three UPI IDs can be created; however one default UPI ID has to be selected to receive or make payments
g) How to check my UPI ID in SBI:
- Open the SBI Yono Lite App on your smartphone.
- Enter MPin for the BI Yono Lite App.
- You can see the UPI transfer option at the top of the screen.
UPI payments have become a preferred digital payment option nowadays. This trend is confined to the urban areas and used by the people in rural areas, as mobile internet coverage increases with improved bandwidth. Almost every household in India now has at least one mobile phone. With growing awareness, people find it convenient to use UPI payment to purchase products and services. UPI solution providers are cognizant of this growing trend in digital payments for the business it generates and the potential it provides to increase the customer base. Almost every business-online or offline, facilitates business transactions with its customers by providing the convenience of UPI payments.