A PAN card is a 10-digit unique identification number issued by the Income Tax Department of India. It is electronically generated and stored in a central database. It is a paperless PAN card that can be accessed online using a unique ID.
The ePAN card is linked to the individual's Aadhaar number and is valid for life. It can be used to verify identity and file income tax returns. The ePAN card is a secure and convenient way to store and access PAN information, and it is also a cost-effective way to get a PAN card.
Did You Know? Thanks to the PAN number, the IT department can identify and associate all PAN holder transactions with the department.
What is a PAN Card?
A PAN card is a document issued by the Income Tax Department of India. It serves as a unique identification number for Indian taxpayers. The PAN card is required to file income tax returns, make financial transactions above a certain threshold, etc. The PAN number is a 10-digit alphanumeric code. The first five characters of the PAN represent the sequence of letters in the alphabet from A to Z, starting from AA to ZZ. The next four characters represent the last four digits of the applicant's birth year in the format YYMM. The ninth character is an alphabetic check digit. The last character is an alphabetic character that may be one of the following: C, F, G, H, J, L, P, T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z.
How to Download Your ePAN Card?
The ePAN card is a document that contains all the information about an individual's PAN (permanent account number). It is issued by the Income Tax Department of India. The ePAN card is a digital version of the physical PAN card and can be downloaded from the e-filing website of the Income Tax Department.
To download your ePAN card, you will need to have your PAN number handy. You will also need a valid email address and a mobile number registered with the Income Tax Department.
Once you have these, you can follow the steps below:
1. Go to the e-filing website of the Income Tax Department https://eportal.incometax.gov.in/iec/foservices/#/login and log in.
2. Click on the 'Get a New ePAN' link.
3. Enter your PAN number and the Captcha code.
4. Click on the 'Submit' button.
5. An OTP will be sent to your registered mobile number and email address.
6. Enter the OTP for validation purposes.
7. Save the acknowledgment number for future reference.
8. Your ePAN card is downloadable in PDF format if everything goes right.
9. Revisit the same page, and on the Check status / Download PAN page, enter your 12-digit Aadhaar and click ‘Continue.’
9. You may view the status of your e-PAN request on the View / Download e-PAN page. If a new e-PAN has been created and assigned, you can view it by clicking View e-PAN or download a copy by clicking Download e-PAN.
Also Read: How to Get a PAN Card for Your Business?
Why Should You Download Your ePAN Card?
The ePAN card is a document that proves your identity and age. It is required for various financial transactions such as opening a bank account, applying for a credit card, filing income tax returns, etc.
Here are some of the reasons why you should download your ePAN card:
- A convenient and easy way to keep track of your financial transactions.
- It helps in preventing identity theft as it contains your personal information.
- A secure document as the Income Tax Department issues it.
- A valid proof of identity and age.
- Accepted as valid proof of identity by various financial institutions.
- A Hassle-free process and can be done online.
- A convenient way to keep track of your PAN number.
- A useful document for various financial transactions.
- Helps in reducing the chances of fraud.
Download the e-PAN Card Using NSDL Portal
The process for downloading the e-PAN card using the NSDL Portal is as follows:
- Visit the NSDL Portal at https://www.onlineservices.nsdl.com/paam/requestAndDownloadEPAN.html.
- Enter your PAN number/Acknowledgement number, name, and date of birth.
- Enter the captcha code and click on 'Submit.'
- Your e-PAN card is displayed on the screen.
- Save the e-PAN card in PDF format.
Also Read: Unique Business Ideas With Low Investments
Download PAN Card Online Using UTIITSL Portal
PAN applicants may now get their e-PAN card straight from the UTIITSL website. Only the PAN applicants listed below can use UTIITSL to download their e-PAN card.
- Individuals that have applied for a new PAN through UTIITSL; or
- Individuals who have applied for the most recent PAN revisions, corrections, or updates through UTIITSL; or
- The individual who previously registered a legitimate and active cellphone number or e-mail ID with the Income Tax Department in conjunction with their PAN record.
If the applicant meets the eligibility conditions for downloading the e-PAN card from UTIITSL, he must do the following steps:
- Check out the website at https://www.pan.utiitsl.com/PAN_ONLINE/ePANCard
- Provide the information below:
PAN Number; Date of Birth/Date of Incorporation/Date of Agreement/Date of Partnership or Trust Deed/Date of BOI Formation/Date of AOP in MM/YYYY; GSTIN Number (optional);
- Enter the Captcha code.
- After entering the above information, click 'Submit.'
- The link will be given to the registered cellphone number through SMS and/or e-mail ID upon successful submission.
- The applicant must click the link after receiving it and then use the OTP obtained on their mobile/e-mail ID to download the e-PAN card.
Things to Keep in Mind While Downloading an ePAN Card
There are a few things to keep in mind while downloading your ePAN card:
- Make sure you are using a trusted and secure website. Many websites claim to offer ePAN card downloads, but only some of them are legitimate.
- The ePAN card is only available for Indian citizens.
- Users must have a valid email address and mobile phone number to apply for the ePAN card.
- Make sure you have all the required information handy. You will need to provide some personal information to download your ePAN card.
- Make sure you have a printer connected and ready to print. Once you have downloaded your ePAN card, you must print it out.
- Follow the instructions on the website carefully. Each website may have slightly different instructions on downloading and printing your ePAN card.
- Users can check the status of their ePAN card application online.
- Keep your ePAN card safe. Once you have printed it out, keep it in a safe place, and you will need to present it whenever you file your income tax return.
Now you know that an e-PAN card is an electronic version of the PAN card issued by the Income Tax Department of India. It is a unique 10-digit alphanumeric identification number allotted to each taxpayer in India. The e-PAN card is a tamper-proof and secure document that is accessible online.
The e-PAN card can be accessed online through the Income Tax Department's website or the e-filing portal. It is a secure and convenient way to access your PAN information online, useful for income tax purposes.
Follow Khatabook for the latest updates, news blogs, and articles related to micro, small and medium businesses (MSMEs), business tips, income tax, GST, salary, and accounting.