The EPF or Employees Provident fund is a scheme offering retirement benefits. The subscribing member deposits a fixed part of the monthly salary, and the employer makes an equal contribution towards the EPS and EPF employee accounts. When an employee changes employment, they can transfer the accumulated amount to the new employer’s account by a simple online PF account transfer and submitting the EPS Certificate or withdraw the amount using the Form 10C subject to certain conditions.
The EPFO’s online portal helps the members transfer PF amounts from the previous account to their new employer’s account in a few simple steps. Thus the member saves time and can transfer PF amounts from the comfort of his office or home. The process also requires uploading certain digitally verified documents, thus saving the employees effort and time in getting the previous employer to verify documents physically.
How To Transfer PF Amount?
To transfer PF online on the EPFO portal, you will need to follow the steps below.
Here’s how to transfer a PF account from one company to another online:
- First, log in to https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/ and your PF account by using the password and UAN option.
- Click on the ‘Online Services’ section at the top of the page and choose the ‘Transfer Request’ tab under it.
- Enter the previous EPF account number or previous EPF Member ID.
- The transfer request will need the attestation of either the previous or current employer.
- Enter the UAN or member ID in the required fields.
- The ‘Get MID’ option can help you generate your MID by clicking on it.
- Now click on the ‘Get OTP’ tab which generates the OTP on your registered and Aadhar- linked mobile number.
- Enter the received OTP in the space provided and click the tab to ‘Submit’ the form.
- The self-attested copy of this online request for PF transfer in PDF format is to be submitted to your previous/current employer as per your choice within the next 10 days after making the online transfer of PF request.
- Once the chosen employer verifies and approves the PF transfer request digitally, the PF amount gets transferred from the previous employer to the new employer.
- The request also generates a tracking ID to help you track your transfer of PF application online.
- Download Form-13 or the Transfer Claim Form. Sometimes it may be required to submit this form to the current employer to complete the EPF transfer process.
Also Read: EPFO E-Sewa- Employees Provident Fund Organization
How to Check the Status of PF Transfer?
There are 3 methods you can follow to track your status online on the PF account transfer process.
1. Using the Status Link of the Member Claim:
In this method of checking the PF transfer status online, you use the status link sent to you when you file the transfer of the PF application. Just follow the below steps.
- Log in to the EPFO portal and use the employee’s page.
- On top of the page is the ‘Our Services’ tab, under which you must click on the ‘Know your Claim Status’ tab.
- You need to fill in the UAN and the Captcha details on the page that pulls up before clicking on the ‘Search’ tab.
- Enter by selecting and clicking on the account’s Member ID and press the tab for ‘View your Claim Status’.
- The PF transfer status is now displayed.
2. Using the EPFO portal:
In this method, you use the EPFO portal to check the status of the PF transfer application.
- Go to the EPFO portal.
- Enter login details like password, captcha and the UAN to log in.
- Choose the ‘Online Services’ tab and click on the ‘Track Claim Status’ under it.
- Next, click on the tab for ‘Transfer Claim Status’.
- The page will display the status of your online PF transfer.
3. Use the EPF website:
In this method, you use the EPF website to check your online PF transfer application status.
- Visit the EPF website https://www.epfindia.gov.in/site_en/For_Employees.php.
- Choose the tab ‘Click here for Knowing Status of your Claim’.
- From the dropdown list, click on the jurisdictional PF office of your state.
- Next, choose the regional office from the RO list, automatically filling in the office and region codes.
- If you have the ‘Establishment Code, ’ enter it.
- Also, enter the account number, which generally has 7-digits.
- Next, press the ‘Submit’ tab, and the PF transfer status will display on the next screen.
Documents Required for PF Transfer
Here’s a list of documents you will need during the process of how to transfer PF.
- Previous PF Member ID
- Current employer’s PF account details
- Revised Form 13
- Identity Proof like Aadhar card, PAN or Driving License.
- Establishment and Account Number
- Your salary account number and the IFSC code.
Forms Required On How To Transfer One PF Account To Another Process
You will need the following forms when making a PF transfer online.
Essential Points in How To Transfer PF From One Employer To Another
Employees need to ensure the following before applying online for a PF transfer.
- UAN is activated on the EPFO’s portal.
- Registered Aadhar-linked mobile number is active.
- UAN and bank salary accounts are linked.
- UAN KYC verification is completed.
- Both current and previous employers have their respective authorized digital signatures registered with the EPFO.
- The PF numbers of both previous and current employment are available in the database of the EPFO.
Why use UAN in the Online PF Transfer Process
An individual employee gets different member IDs from the employer. The Universal Account Number or UAN links the multiple IDs of the employee’s PF account. Thus, the UAN during the PF transfer process has the following benefits for the employee/member.
The UAN updates are dynamic and link multiple member IDs of a particular member.
You can use the UAN to update all transfer details and the PF passbook.
The UAN is also used for receiving updates by SMS on the monthly PF credits into the PF account.
It helps in the automatic transfer of the account on a job/ employer change.
Importance of Aadhaar and UAN linking in the PF Transfer process
The linking of the Aadhar details with the UAN has the following benefits.
- If UAN and Aadhaar are linked, there will be a lesser chance of errors, and the information you provide is easy to verify and consistent.
- The Aadhaar card has verified the personal biometric information required for verification of the member’s identity.
- For safety purposes, the EPFO has mandatorily sought the linking of Aadhar and your UAN to ensure only you can make EPF payments or withdrawals from your EPF account.
- Aadhar data is used for proof of identification and citizenship.
- Duplicate accounts are eliminated since the linking of the Aadhar and UAN ensures only a single person and a single PF account is present.
Benefits of Online PF Transfer
If you have a long service period ahead of you and will continue to work, it is better to transfer the PF amount rather than withdraw it. PF is a retirement benefit that is low-risk fixed and a long-term investment backed by the GOI or the Government of India. You should use the PF corpus only in emergencies. Transfer of your EPF corpus amount has the following benefits.
PF withdrawals attract TDS deductions when the PF account is less than 5 years old. Using the PF transfer option and maintaining the PF account for 5 years, you get tax-free PF withdrawals of the PF corpus.
The savings in EPFO get a compound interest rate. When you transfer the PF account, you get the interest, unlike withdrawing and opening a new PF account.
Employees with an EPF account for 10 years or more are eligible for pension on attaining the age of 58 years. This benefit is only possible when the PF account is transferred and continued through the term of 10 years.
You have to fulfil specific requirements to transfer PF from one account to another. These are mentioned below:
- The employee has to activate her/his UAN number on the EPF portal. (https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/).
- When making a transfer request, the employee should get his previous employer to verify his bank details (IFSC Code, bank account number, etc.) and seed this information online on the EPFO portal.
- The employee’s Aadhaar number also needs to be seeded into the UAN account.
- The DoJ or Date of Joining and DoE or Date of Exit need to be filled in along with the reason for changing the employment.
- The EPFO accepts only a single transfer request against the member ID.
Also Read: PF Calculator - Calculate EPF Online
Eligibility Conditions For Pension Withdrawal
- The member should have a tenure of 180 days in the organization.
- Form 10C must be filled to make a withdrawal of the pension amount under the EPS Scheme.
- The form can be filled both offline and online on the EPF Member’s portal.
- The member can withdraw on leaving the job and before completing ten years tenure in the job.
PF is a vital retirement benefit for all employees, and EPF withdrawals can be made when certain eligibility conditions are met. However, it is always better to do a PF transfer to your new employer rather than withdraw the amount. Doing so helps you earn compound interest and helps you out in the long run.
1. Can one withdraw the EPF without a PAN number?
When you do not produce the PAN card and make withdrawals from the PF account, the TDS is deducted and can amount to a marginal maximum rate of 34 per cent. If the claim amount is greater than Rs 50000/- then no TDS is deducted.
2. Is the EPF withdrawal taxable?
Yes, if the EPF withdrawal is made before completing a continuous service of 5 years, it is taxable.
3. What is the tax on EPF withdrawals?
TDS of 10% is deducted when you produce your PAN card. If you do not produce or have a PAN number at withdrawal, a TDS rate of 34% applies to EPF withdrawals.
4. How is an EPF withdrawal treated when filing the ITR?
EPF withdrawals are treated as taxable income and shown under the ‘Income from salary’ head. On making PF withdrawals, you can account for it in the ITR U/S 10(12) for Recognized Provident Fund withdrawals on the portal.
5. What is the enquiry number for EPF withdrawals?
The PF portal’s enquiry number for withdrawals is toll-free and is 1800 118 005.
6. Can I withdraw my EPF without the previous company’s approval?
Yes. If the PF account has your Aadhaar details, you do not need the previous employer’s authorization to withdraw your amounts in the PF account.
7. Can the EPF be withdrawn while I am still working?
No, you cannot withdraw the money from the PF corpus while you are employed. You need to be unemployed for over 2 months to make partial withdrawals from the PF account. You can also use the PF amount during medical emergencies, your own or your children’s wedding and the construction/purchase of a house.
8. How many withdrawals can I make from the EPF?
The maximum amount is capped at the lowest of the amount of the employee’s share or 6 times the wages, and 3 withdrawals allowed on the grounds of a similar reason