If you're here because your small business is struggling, then be assured you're at the right place. Most small businesses get stuck in the complications of failing to meet their expected objectives. That is where the need for optimising a digital marketing strategy for small business comes in. Through this informative guide, we will try to equip you with strategies you can adopt to improve the performance of your small business.
B2B marketing strategy for small business entails using all the marketing theories to get mass exposure to your services or products. Whether your business is big or small, the core principles of marketing stay and benefit both in the same way.
Did you know? Historians attribute cave depictions as definitive marketing ways used by our ancestors. They used them to promote experiences like hunting with a spear or starting a fire. The cave depiction is now an infographic; the experience is a product or service.
What is a Marketing Strategy in Small Business?
A marketing strategy is a business’s plan for turning the masses into customers who want to purchase its products or services. This plan must be dynamic and include a stepwise list of instructions to help a business achieve the desired objectives. This strategy uses analytical tools to detail a blueprint of how the business will reach its modeled targets. The strategies were devised after studying the consumers' needs, wants, and desires. They also allow for problem-solving and thereby consider the habits and customs of the target consumer base. A marketing strategy for small business is the building block of a comprehensive marketing plan and includes the 4 Ps of marketing:
- Product: How the product or service benefits consumers or adds value to their lives
- Price: Determine the right pricing strategy to ensure the revenues you desire
- Place: Determine the geographical location where your product distribution will flourish
- Promotion: Inform customers about your products and services and how they stand out from competitors
Also Read: Know the Difference Between Business and Profession - What is Profession vs Business
Significance of Marketing Strategy for Small Business
Have you ever worn comfortable shoes in which you can walk around for as long as you like without hurting your feet? Having a marketing strategy is equivalent to such comfortable shoes. They can help a small business stand and eventually run on its feet with efficiency.
With this analogy, it is also clear that marketing is an investment, not an expense.
Hence, let us look at how marketing strategies are imperative for the success of any business.
- The foremost advantage is a boost in sales. Your sales are directly proportional to the number of people you can reach out to.
- A content marketing strategy for small business gives the business an individual identity and, thus, an edge over its competitors.
- It helps in developing goods and services with the optimum profit-making potential.
- It helps in discovering the areas lacking growth within the business model. Therefore, it helps create an organised plan to improve those aspects.
- It helps in fixing the right price for an organisation’s goods and services. This happens by choosing the best pricing strategies based on market research to ensure revenue generated is always more than the costs incurred.
- Marketing strategies ensure that all departments of a business are coordinated
- It helps a small business send a loud and clear sales message to its target market.
- A marketing strategy also helps to optimise the advertising budget and ensure better ROI (Return on Investment).
What is the Best Marketing Strategy for Small Businesses?
Now we know what a marketing strategy for small business is and how crucial it is to ensure small businesses succeed. So, without further ado, let’s shine a light on the industry-proven marketing strategies which will uplift your small business. Let’s learn how to create a marketing strategy for small businesses.
1. Research Your Audience and Find Out Ways to Appeal to Them
- Targeting the right audience is critical. The leaky bucket effect is the situation when people come across your business without making any purchase or not returning
- If you develop a strategy focusing on an ideal customer base, you're more likely to make them interested in your product
- So, you need to adhere to some standard tips to appeal to a suitable audience:
- Research the trends of the consumer section you want to appeal to
- Create buyer personas and market your products tailor-made for them
- Use demographic data to analyse and segment your target audience
- Use basic market research tools like surveys, interviews, etc
2. Advertise Business Online
When it comes to advertising your business there are various strategies which can be used. Not every strategy would be effective for your business. In order to find best marketing strategies for small businesses, perfect strategies are required.
A popular way of online marketing tactics is social media advertising. It includes use of platform as Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn for promoting the business. You can also create advertisements which target a particular demographic or can simply post on business on social media pages.
3. Reach Out to a Bigger Audience through Digital Marketing
- Using various modes of digital marketing, you can promote the brand's products with posts, images, reels, etc., to create a story around the brand and engage more audience.
Also Read: Business without Investment: Effective Ways to Start a Business with Zero Investment
The main methods are:
- Create relevant content in the form of blog posts, infographics, videos, etc., that spreads awareness to the audience about your brand and products.
Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)
- The technique of using specific keywords in your website’s content so that the website would rank higher in the search engine’s results.
Search Engine Marketing (SEM)
- This involves paying the search engines to promote the website and make it appear above other results.
- Such websites have an “Ad” label next to the URL.
Social Media Marketing
- With the amount of screen time people have on social media platforms, this is the most effective way to create an outreach. Make a business profile on all major social media platforms.
- Engage with influencers to increase brand awareness and redirect their followers to your business.
Email and SMS Marketing
- These methods can help you through the leaky bucket effect. It also keeps the customers appraised about your latest advertisement and promotion campaigns.
- You can pay a small commission to other businesses to promote yours. Google and YouTube ads are the best example of affiliate marketing.
- You can use a lead magnet, like an eBook, guide, or video series, to offer something of value for free in exchange for contact information.
- Discount codes are also great examples of lead magnets.
Get Listed in Industry-specific Directories
- This method works like a charm for businesses that are offering a service instead of a product.
- A great example is listing your small business on Justdial so that it generates more traffic apart from a Google listing.
Adopt a Pricing Strategy
- An ideal pricing strategy can provide desired profit margins.
- It also helps to nurture an efficient business-client relationship and increase the customer conversion rate
Host Customer Interaction Events
- Event marketing is another tool that assists businesses in studying their clients and building up client relationships.
- Webinars, free giveaway events, free consultation events, etc., can all redirect a lot of meaningful traffic towards your business.
Also Read: What Is Blogging for Business? Types, Importances and Benefits of Blogging
After having looked at the key concepts, importance, and marketing strategies ideas for small businesses, let’s sum up some key takeaways. A successful marketing strategy caters to the subsequent goals of the business. Small business owners must not mistake marketing for advertising or promotions. The latter is a part of an effective marketing strategy to attract more customers.
Any strategy is also only as good as you can measure it. So, it is also imperative to define the metrics by which you can determine the success of your strategies.
Follow Khatabook for the latest updates, news blogs, and articles related to micro, small and medium businesses (MSMEs), business tips, income tax, GST, salary, and accounting.