How enjoyable can a photography business be? Ask someone who is already living this dream! Being a professional photographer, you can enjoy lifelong luxuries like a sense of freedom, flexible work hours, high income, etc. This creative hobby can become your full-fledged business, and in order to successfully set up that, you can read this post!
Arranging high-quality camera equipment isn't tough today. Even if you're short on budget, you can grab a second-hand one. Besides that, you don't need to go through long and expensive courses. You just need the right talent, dedication and sharp photography skills. If you truly hate the 9 to 5 job structure, then it's your time to start a photography business. If you don't know how to start a photography business, no worries. You’ll know when you finish reading this article!
Did you know?
In India, the photography business is pegged at over ₹1 lakh Crores, and it's growing at an unbelievable rate of 25-30% every year.
How to Start a Photography Business?
Potential for Market Development
A photography business is a process of taking images using professional techniques with lenses and cameras. It could be for an event, product and purposes that are defined by the customer. The potential market for photographers has increased dramatically over the past decade. These are the reasons for that:
- A growing desire to join the quitting 9 to 5 bandwagon of other countries.
- There is a growing need for businesses to enhance their enterprise's reach through attractive images displayed on their websites.
Also Read: How to Start a Jewellery Business
Register Your Company
What do you need to do in order to start a photography company legally in India? Registration of a photography business is the same as registering any other business. It does not need any additional formalities. You could begin with sole proprietorship in the case of only one person.
If your photography business consists of more than two individuals, you may opt for a partnership registration or private limited corporation registration.
Documents Required for Photography Business Registration in India
- PAN Card
- Email id
- A Bank Statement that includes the current address
- Aadhar Card
- Mobile Number
- Rent Agreement, if the property is rented
- Electricity bill of the office address
- No objection certificate (NOC) from the landowner
Securing Startup Capital
When you can have the cash in your bank account to begin your business, it is unlikely that you will need a loan. However, many entrepreneurs require assistance. Many people who start their own business for the first time will end up having to ask family or friends for financial assistance. When you approach your family and friends for financial help or request an advance from a bank for your business, you'll need a plan in place. This plan should spell out how you'll use the money and when or what you'll do to pay your lenders back.
Defining Your Target Audience
● Events: Events like weddings and birthdays require the assistance of your photography skills to capture photos of individuals, couples, or families.
● Businesses: Businesses will need your professional photography skills to advertise their products, office infrastructure, brochures, etc.
● Entertainment events: These types of events like automobile exhibitions, stand-up comedy shows, concerts, award shows, etc require professional photography to create a massive effect on their target consumers.
● Sports industry: Sports industry requires photography services to take pictures of players and athletes to report on sports events to their audiences.
● Fashion industry: Actors/actresses, models and singers, require the assistance of a photography company to build their portfolios.
● Advertising agencies: They need the assistance of your photography business to obtain the pictures of their products, intending to publish them as promotional content on their social media page.
● Restaurants and hotels: They need photography to aid in advertising their facilities, including their staff, services and guests on their websites to attract consumers.
● Cafes and restaurants: They require the assistance of your photography company for obtaining images of food items such as meals, desserts, beverages, and the overall atmosphere for their target audience.
Gain Professional Experience
You'll need to demonstrate to potential clients what you are capable of as a photographer. Working with an experienced photographer can be a great opportunity to gain experience and build your portfolio. You can be an assistant for photographers while developing your own business. It is equally important to use your experience to build your portfolio of photos that showcases your expertise.
Think about your target audience and create your portfolio around what they would like to see. Make sure it is updated so that prospective clients can view recent and relevant works.
The primary equipment needed for the photography business are:
● Memory cards
● Software for editing pictures
● External drive
● Business cards
The quality of the photo will matter a lot in this business. Therefore, be sure to not compromise on buying cameras with top-notch features. Also, if you feel you’ll lack investment, get help from business loans.
Put Your Money Into a Fantastic Website
After you've decided on the other aspects to start your photography business, you'll require a website. However, your website should be similar to your shop. It should be attractive, so you need to consider designing your site by a professional designer.
Your website must naturally display your work. This is what visitors need to see. Keep your site tidy by dividing your galleries by categories. Include a picture of you and a page that explains your background and your experience. Contact information is important as well.
We hope that the suggestions above should aid you in starting your photography business successfully. At first, it can be intimidating, and it will be difficult to know how you could have done things better, and that's exactly how it should be. It is a sign that you're growing and getting better as a photographer. It is an amazing feeling of earning money doing something that brings you joy. Make the time and ensure that small steps are as crucial as bigger ones!
Follow Khatabook for the latest updates, news blogs, and articles related to micro, small and medium businesses (MSMEs), business tips, income tax, GST, salary, and accounting.