The perks of a government job are unmatched in every sense. Fixed working hours, the maximum number of holidays, exclusive pension and other schemes, and attractive bonuses. Several individuals are known to prefer government jobs instead of private ones for various reasons. Every government job comes with its challenges, and you have to excel to prove your skills. Once you do, there is no limit to climbing the hierarchy ladder. However, with the ambit of the government departments, different salary structures and perks apply to different profiles. The opportunities are numerous. You can choose from among the armed forces, medical, foreign services, external affairs, sports, finance, and commerce, among various others. In addition to having the right skills, one also needs to possess requisite communication and social skills. You have to be a people person as you are constantly rubbing shoulders with individuals from all walks of life.
Did you know? The Central Government of India has more than 50 lakh employees and receives more than two lakh fresh job applications yearly?
Highest Paying Government Jobs in India
Getting a public sector job is a dream come true for several individuals. Whether you qualify for a science-based or engineering-based job, the opportunities that accrue to qualified candidates serve them for a long if they work with dedication. These jobs offer you to maintain a healthy work-life balance and also offer immense security with a good average Indian salary. Some of the highest paying government jobs are as follows:
- Jobs in Oil and Natural Gas Corporation and Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited - These public sector organisations offer very attractive pay packages which come bundled with excellent perks. They offer maternity and paternity leave, various medical benefits and insurance policies and other schemes.
- Jobs in government banks.
- Jobs in Indian space research organisation (ISRO) and Defence Research and development organisation (DRDO).
- Defence service jobs.
- Jobs in civil services like Indian administrative services (IAS), Indian foreign service (IFS), and Indian police service (IPS), among others
- IAS Officers – They represent the Indian government on an international platform and help make vital bilateral as well as multilateral discussions
- IFS Officers – They protect India's national interests in the country where they are stationed and maintain amicable relations with that country. They also report all important developments in that country which could impact India.
- IPS Officers – They play a crucial role in the maintenance of peace and order in public, help control evils like smuggling, and drugs, provide security to VIPs, control the national borders, and counter-terrorism, among various other important responsibilities
- Jobs in the State public service commission
- Officers in the Indian railways
- Professors teaching in Universities
- Assistant audit officers
- Physicians in organisations like the All Indian Institute of Medical Science (AAIMS)
Top 10 Highest Paying Government Jobs in India
The highest paying government jobs in India come with their share of high responsibilities, which have to be discharged to perfection. These include the following:
- The Indian Forest Service (IFoS) officers – This is one of the three All India Services of the Union government. Their duties involve taking appropriate measures to protect and manage the environment and ecological balance. They are also responsible for the communities dependent on forests for their livelihoods.
- Scientists at ISRO – Developing space technology to meet the requirements of the nation and ensure the success of every mission executed by ISRO are their key responsibilities, among others.
- Grade B Officer at RBI – Key responsibilities includes maintaining a constant check on inflationary levels and managing government accounts at the state and centre.
- Medical officer jobs – Key responsibilities involve maintaining discipline among the various medical departments, strategising health initiatives and policies for individuals and communities, and enabling treatment mechanisms for complex medical conditions. It is also considered the best job for women.
- University professors – Primary duties include teaching, planning curriculum, publishing journal articles, creating proposals for special grants to students, and research.
- Indian railway personnel service – Chief responsibilities include managing the railways' human resources and the employees' welfare.
- Assistant Section Officer – Responsible for critical administrative duties at the Ministry of external affairs, formulating and ensuring implementation of policies
- Submarine engineer officer jobs – Maintenance of high-end diesel and nuclear propulsion systems and patrolling of the oceans
- Indian army officer – Planning operations, training juniors, among others
- Income tax officers – Defining tax liabilities and helping the public with tax matters
Top 10 Highest Paying Government Jobs in India After 12th
- Officer trained in the Air force academy or National defence academy
- Administration - Stores
- Canteen supervisor
- Indian army
- Border security force
- The border police force on the India-Tibet border
- Central industrial security force (CISF)
- Indian coast guard
Top 10 Highest Paying Government Jobs in India for Commerce Students
These include the following:
- Probationary officer - Institute of banking personnel selection (IBPS PO) – issuance of cheque books, managing demand drafts, client complaints
- Grade B officer at the Reserve bank of India
- Probationary officer at State bank of India
- A clerk at the State bank of India
- Clerk - Institute of Banking personnel selection
- Union public service commission (UPSC)
- Union public service commission (UPSC) - Combined defence services (CDS)
- Staff selection commission – Combined graduate level (SSC CGL)
- Life insurance corporation of India – Assistant administrative officer (AAO)
- Indian foreign service officer
Top 10 Highest Paying Government Jobs in India After 10th
For individuals who have successfully completed their 10th standard studies, the following are the top 10 government jobs in India:
- Defence jobs: They can work as painters, engine fitters, multitasking staff (MTS), washermen, cooks as well as tailors.
- Banking: Employment in the form of security guards, sweepers, and multitasking staff.
- Railway jobs: This industry has jobs like ticket collectors, junior typists, clerks in the railway recruitment board, and constables in the railway police force
- Police force: Individuals who have completed their 10th class can find jobs in the capacity of drivers and firefighters. They can also get employed as head constables or senior constables.
- Staff selection commission: This recruiting entity under the ambit of the central government offers jobs like low division clerks, data entry operators as well as multi-tasking employees, among others.
- Civic volunteers: This involves helping the police during key festivals and helping detect vehicles which break parking rules, among many others. Some of the self-explanatory ones include:
- Engine fitters
Top 10 Highest Paying Government Jobs in India After Graduation
Successful graduates can find employment in the following categories:
- Bank probationary officers – Address client complaints and supervise staff.
- Public sector undertaking – Maintenance of electric apparatus. This would also include recording and analysis of data. It also involves the interpretation of test data.
- LIC assistant administrative officer (AAO) – Desk jobs, e.g. initiating new schemes, managing claims, filing claims and checking new policies.
- Officers in the Indian railways – Training of staff, recruiting new employees, executing promotions across the said departments, initiating discipline mechanisms.
- Jobs at ISRO and DRDO – Graduates of computer engineering need to pass with at least a 65% grade. To get employment with DRDO, individuals must possess a Bachelor’s degree in Science.
- State public service commission – Some of the key jobs are those of technician apprentices and teachers.
- Reserve bank of India – Graduates with a 60% score in civil engineering can get jobs complementing their skills. Some of these include technical and electrical-based jobs. Other opportunities include curators for RBI museum in the said city, library professionals, Grade A architects and even Grade B law officers.
- External Ministry – Assistant section officer.
- Academic professors.
- Officers in Indian foreign service.
Also Read: What are the Best Jobs for Women in India?
Top 10 Highest Paying Government Jobs in India for Freshers
There are numerous opportunities for freshers, some of which include:
- Gramin dak sevaks
- Police constable
- Non-executive positions
- Personal assistants
- Science assistants, medical officers, nurses
Each of these comes with some requirements that freshers need to possess.
This article describes the varied and rewarding job careers for individuals of different academic qualifications. There are multiple rewarding opportunities for freshers to 10th as well as 12th class students and graduates. In addition to academic qualifications, individuals should be committed and willing to work with passion and harmony with all. The benefits and perks associated with government jobs are extremely attractive when compared to non-government jobs. Individuals also need to possess the willingness to learn and acquire more skills to climb the ladder of success in a seamless manner.