Visual Merchandiser is the most important job description given to students who are pursuing an education at a higher level in design. Many designers want to work in the field of visual merchandise. Visual merchandisers are responsible for displaying and arranging items for sale. Their primary responsibility is to design something appealing and make a true illustration that reflects the item. They use various skills in design to promote the image, products and services offered by businesses and other companies.
Did You Know?
As per AmbitionBox, The salary for a Regional Visual Merchandiser in India is between ₹3.6 Lakhs and ₹12.2 Lakhs, with an average annual income of ₹6.7 Lakhs. These salary estimates have been made on 212 salaries from Regional Visual Merchandisers.
What is a Visual Merchandiser
Whatever your position in your professional life, the role of a visual merchandiser may be able to bring a desire to pursue an opportunity in business. Visual merchandisers, also called show designers, are responsible for creating visually appealing displays for retail stores. Their main job of visual merchandising is to design displays that grab customers' attention and assist in promoting a store's products or services.
As a visual merchandiser, you could design or create visually appealing sketches or displays to the specifications set by your customers or the store's management. With your creative flair and talent to design, you could be responsible for ensuring the uniformity of the walkway, window and counter, along with other display areas in multiple stores.
To be a visual merchandiser, you'll usually require a bachelor's degree in marketing, art graphic design, graphic design, or any related area. But, obtaining a degree in visual merchandising or working using Photoshop or other visual design tools could help you get more job opportunities.
Suppose you have advanced skills in design for retail and enough experience. In that case, you can be a visual merchandising manager, have your work displayed, or begin your own interior design business.
Also Read: What is the Average Salary in India?
Types of Job Roles as a Visual Merchandiser
Visual Merchandiser is the most important job provided to students seeking advanced training in the design field. Many students interested in design want to pursue a career in the field of visual Merchandiser. Visual merchandisers are responsible for creating the visual display and arrangement of items for sale. Their primary task is to design an appealing item and provide a good representation of the item.
A few of the most important categories of Visual Merchandisers are listed below.
- Layout Designer: Layout Designers are responsible for creating and constructing attractive designs for distributing and displaying materials. Layout designers use various frameworks and software for designing. They are expected to possess amazing computer skills to ensure effective navigation.
- Merchandise Analyst: Merchandise analysts work closely with corporate store classification managers. They're accountable for maintaining an eye on trends across the entire chain and the flow of merchandise throughout the retail supply chain.
- Merchandising Consultants: Merchandising Consultants review the retail client marketing strategy and develop an understanding of each retailer's unique value to customers as an incentive to help retailers improve their business, edge and productivity of stock by better monitoring the inventory.
- Display Designer: Display Designers aim to increase the visibility of product images, pictures and images by creating an eye-catching display using realistic and visual components. Based on the customer's company, the display could be used to cover a wide variety of places, including exchange displays in shopping centres.
- Store Planners: Store planners are responsible for planning and executing how retailers display their merchandise that is available for purchase. The planners assess customer traffic patterns and the attraction of various items that can be purchased when they plan how a new item will be displayed on the business floor. They consider various variables, such as advertising campaigns and sales promotions.
Qualities to Be a Visual Merchandiser
The eligibility requirements for an individual who is a visual merchandiser are the fundamental requirements that must be achieved by anyone who wants to pursue this career path. The qualifications for education and the requirements necessary to become a visual merchandiser are listed below.
- The applicant must have completed the requirements for graduation with a design degree.
- Students can also finish their postgraduate studies before stepping into the market for employment. They should, however, have studied Visual Merchandising during their masters.
- The student must get their undergraduate degree from a recognised university.
- Candidates who have completed an accredited degree in Visual Merchandising are also considered for specific positions.
- The ability to use design tools and programs like Photoshop, Illustrator, etc., is a must.
- The experience gained from an internship, etc., will make the applicant's resume more solid, and they are likely to be preferred over applicants with little or no experience. Also, be sure to keep your communication skills smooth if you opt for a job.
What Exactly Does a Visual Merchandiser Do?
Visual merchandisers use their planning skills to advance retail businesses and other organisations' images, products, and administration. They design eye-catching displays for their products and store layouts and designs to attract customers and motivate them to purchase.
A Visual Merchandiser works in this job position within a display team. They use design concepts created in the head office by an executive in charge of visual merchandising or a display designer. These are the primary duties.
- The role of a visual merchandiser is making design concepts for display displays and floor designs or following an organisational strategy.
- Designing and drawing plans on paper or with the help of a Computer.
- Creating special displays to advertise the sale or product.
- Deciding how to use lighting, store layout, and space creatively.
- Set up displays, dressing dummies, textures, screens, posters, etc.
- Designing branded promotional packs for each shop department and giving feedback to the buying groups and head office.
Employment Opportunities for a Visual Merchandiser
There are innumerable industries and the sectors which consider hiring merchandisers. The top companies that require visual merchandisers are listed below. The candidates can search for work as a visually-oriented merchandiser within any of these fields.
- Retail Establishments
- Department Stores
- Theatre Companies
- Various Outlets
- Print Media
- Fashion Stores
- Jewellery Stores
- Marketing Agencies
- Accessory Lines
- Books and Publishing Houses
The Top Universities Offering Courses For Students Who Want To Become Visual Merchandisers
The top colleges offering training for students who want to become visual Merchandisers include:
- Army Institute of Fashion & Design (AIFD), Bangalore,
- Istituto Marangoni (Marangoni Mumbai), Mumbai,
- JD Institute of Fashion Technology (JDIFT), Delhi,
- Academy of Applied Arts (AAA), New Delhi,
- JD Institute Of Fashion Technology (JDIFT), Bangalore etc.
Top Recruiting Companies for a Visual Merchandiser
Here's a list of the most prominent companies that employ visual merchandisers.
- Shoppers Stop
- Godrej and Boyce Manufacturing
- Aditya Birla Group
- Reliance Industries
- Marks and Spencer
- Big Bazaar
- The Beer Cafe
- Forrest Essentials
- Penguin Random House
What Is the Average Salary and Demand for Visual Merchandisers?
- Demand is High for Visual Merchandising.
- The fee for the course is medium. Students will need to invest ₹3 to ₹4 Lakhs for this course.
- The salaries are very high for those who work in Visual merchandise. The median wage is greater than ₹5 lakhs/year for students.
- The level of preparation for visual retailing is moderate, and students take 1 year to study for the entrance exam of Visual Merchandising.
Most Visual Merchandising jobs are found in the home and fashion departments. However, certain Visual Merchandisers are employed in hotels, museums, and airports.
It is not uncommon to work long hours as an element of the job because the store's layout and display might need to be altered at night or when the store closes to customers.
If you're confident in the job and have enough style, you could consider becoming the Visual Merchandiser.
Follow Khatabook for the latest updates, news blogs, and articles related to micro, small and medium businesses (MSMEs), business tips, income tax, GST, salary, and accounting.