The registration of trademarks protects businesses from infringement and misuse of their unique brand names worldwide. Trademarks make possible for companies to be able to promote their brand and protect their rights much easier and conveniently with trademark registration. Trademark applications can be classified into 45 different categories based on their business activity. The article provides a detailed overview of trademark class 3, which relates to cosmetics and cleaning substances.
Did You Know? L'Oréal Paris, the top cosmetic brand in the global market, registered under trademark class 3, has a brand value of about 11.22 billion US Dollars.
What is a Trademark?
The term "trademark" refers to a type of intellectual property right that consists of a recognizable logo, design, or expression used to represent products or services produced by a specific source. Trademark registration protects a company's intangible assets and acts as a catalyst for growth.
Trademarks are categorized into 45 classes, each class consisting of manufacturing goods and services. Different classes require different trademark registrations. Business activities determine this classification. Classification can be categorized into two parts,
- Classifications of goods
- Classification of services.
Almost 80,000 items fall into these two categories.
Also Read: Trademark Registration- What is Trademark Regisration? How does it Help Small Businesses?
What is a Trademark Class 3?
Trademark Class 3 includes cleaning and cosmetic products, laundry and bleaching products, polish products, abrasives and cleaners, soaps, dentifrices, cosmetics, perfumery, essential oils, and hair lotions. We see many class 3 trademark products every day in our homes.
There are generally three classes of trademarks in class 3:
- Beauty goods
- Cosmetics and Hair care
- Cleaning products.
List Of Goods Included in Trademark Class 3
- Laundry bleaching preparations and other substances like agarbatti
- Abrasives, cleaning, polishing, and scouring preparations: polish on cars, boot polish on boots, sandpaper on walls, etc.
- Various types of body care, such as shampoos, body washes, and facial washes
- Deodorants, perfumes, and other perfumery products.
- The essential oils
- Cosmetics, such as lipstick, eyelashes, and makeup
- Various hair lotions
- A variety of dental products such as toothpaste, mouth freshener, and mouthwash
- Toiletries and sanitary preparations.
Goods Not Classified Under Class 3
- Chemicals: All Chemicals used in businesses, such as cleaning items, preservatives, and adhesives are not intended for household usage. (Class 1)
- Pharmaceuticals: Deodorants for other than humans or animals (class 5)
- Sharpening stones and grindstones: This class includes sharpening stones and grindstones, including hand tools, as well as sharpening grindstones and stones (class 8)
- Household utensils: Items in this category are brushes, cleaning supplies, kitchen and household utensils, etc. (Class 21)
- Medical and vet services: This category includes medical analyses and treatment of individuals and animals, but not personal hygiene (class 44)
Specimen for Class 3
If the mark is used for business purposes, clients should be able to view a specimen of the mark. To illustrate the mark on the products in the business, it's important to include the specimen showing the product's mark. Trademark specimens are labels, tags, holders, or displays related to products. It is acceptable to reproduce a marked specimen appearing on the product.
Usually, trademarks apply to products under class 3 through labels or to the holders of the products. If the label is fixed to the goods or the product containers, and if proper trademark usage is shown, it is considered an acceptable specimen, excluding mailing and shipping labels. Trademarks are sometimes used as trading names. When that happens, the trademark is invalid.
Also Read: What Are Different Types of Trademarks in India? Examples & Kinds of Trademarks
Popular Examples of Class 3 Trademark
- Surf Excel - Washing machine powder, Soaps and detergents
- Tide - Soap-like detergents
- Lifebuoy - Soap, other cleaning preparations
- Dettol - Cleaning preparations, toiletries, soap etc.
- Colgate - Dental care, Toothpaste
- Patanjali - Soaps, hair products, cosmetics etc.
- Himalaya - Perfumery, soaps, shampoos, herbal cosmetics etc.
- Nykaa - cosmetics, essential oils etc.
- Mamaearth - cosmetics, toiletry, perfumes, hair lotions etc.
- Lux - Soaps, perfumes, cosmetics etc.
- Clinic plus - Shampoos, other preparations for hair etc.
- Close-up - Toothpaste, Oral care product
- Cherry blossom - Boot polishing and cleaning.
Benefits of Having Trademark Class 3 in Your Product
- Trademark registration is an asset
- It is cost-effective
- It is valid for 10 years
- It can be enforced against the name of the company
- Protects your investment in branding and advertising
- Protects against unfair competition
- Most importantly it is easy to get a trademark registration.
Products Listed Under Trademark Class 3
Below mentioned are the products that are listed under trademark class 3. Preparations for cleaning and toileting are grouped under class 3. The term also covers deodorants of all kinds, sanitary preparations, and room fragrancing preparations.
- The adhesives used to fix false hair
- Adhesives used in cosmetics
- Aloe vera used in the preparation of cosmetics
- Balms that are not intended for medicinal use
- Cosmetic creams and kits etc.
- The use of cotton wool in cosmetics
- Cosmetic preparations for slimming purposes
- The adhesives used to fix false eyelashes
- Artificial nails
- A false set of eyelashes
- A cosmetic dye called henna
- Cosmetic greases
- Massage gels (not for medicinal use)
- The pumice stone
- The use of cotton swabs as toiletries or cotton sticks for cosmetic purposes
- Embedded cosmetic lotions in tissues.
Various oral hygiene preparations
- Freshening breath sprays
- Preparations for cleaning dentures
- Breath freshening strips
- Dental bleaching gels
- Denture polishes
- Mouthwashes, not for medicinal purposes.
Perfumery & fragrances
- Amber [perfume]
- Extracts of flowers [ perfumes]
- Eau de Cologne
- Bases for perfumes made from flowers
- Fumigation preparations [perfumes]
- Lavender water, and mint for perfumery
- Heliotropine, ionone [perfumery]
- Musk [perfumery]
- Toilet water
- Scented water.
Preparations for body cleaning and beauty care
Preparations for deodorizing or maintaining personal hygiene.
- Eyebrow pencils
- Cosmetic preparations for eyelashes
- Eyebrow cosmetics
- Make-up preparations
- Make-up removing preparations
- Make-up, make-up powder
- Nail care preparations
- Nail varnish/nail polish
- Nail art stickers
- Decorative transfers for cosmetic purposes
- Cosmetic pencils.
Soaps and gels
- Almond soap
- Cakes of toilet soap/cakes of soap
- Antiperspirant soap
- Deodorant soap
- Medicated soap
- Disinfectant soap
- Soap for foot perspiration
- Bath salts, not for medical purposes
- Deodorants & antiperspirants
- Cosmetic preparations for baths
- Deodorants meant for humans or animals
- Antiperspirants [toiletries].
- Almond milk for cosmetic purposes
- Beauty masks
- Astringents for cosmetic purposes
- Lip glosses, and lotions for cosmetic purposes
- Cleansing milk for toilet purposes
- Skin whitening creams/creams meant for skin whitening
- Cosmetic preparations meant for skincare
- Petroleum jelly is meant for cosmetic purposes
- Sunscreen preparations, talcum powder, for toilet use, whiting
- Sun-tanning preparations [cosmetics]
Hair preparations & treatments
- Beard dyes
- Dry shampoos
- Bleaching preparations [decolorants] for cosmetic purposes
- Cosmetic dyes
- Hair dyes/hair colourants
- Hair lotions
- Hair spray
- Hair waving preparations
- Hydrogen peroxide for cosmetic purposes
- Neutralizers for permanent waving
- Moustache wax/moustache wax
- Pomades for cosmetic purposes.
Hair removal & shaving preparations
- After-shave lotions
- Depilatory preparations/depilatories
- Alum stones.
Animal grooming preparations
- Cosmetics for animals
- Shampoos for pets
- Deodorants for pets.
Essential oils & aromatic extracts
- Almond oil
- Badian essence
- Flavourings [ flavourings ] for beverages [essential oils]
- Aromatics [essential oils]
- Bergamot oil
- Ethereal oils/essential oils
- Essential oils of cedarwood
- essential oils of citron
- Ethereal essences
- Flavorings for cakes [essential oils]/cake flavorings [essential oils]
- Jasmine oil
- Mint essence [essential oil]
- Gaultheria oil
- Lavender oil
- Essential oils of lemon
- Oils for toilet purposes
- Oils for perfumes and scents
- Oils for cosmetic purposes
- Rose oil
- Terpenes [essential oils].
Cleaning & fragrancing preparations
- Ammonia volatile alkali/[detergent] [ammonia] [detergent]
- Antistatic preparations for household purposes
- Cleaning chalk
- Canned pressurized air for cleaning & dusting purposes
- Cleaning preparations
- Cloths impregnated with a detergent for cleaning
- Colourants for toilet purposes
- Degreasers are used for a purpose other than manufacturing processes
- Dry-cleaning preparations
- Colour-removing preparations/color-removing preparations
- Detergents other than for use in manufacturing operations and medical purposes
- Drying agents for dishwashing machines
- Floor wax removers [scouring preparations]
- Javelle water/potassium hypochlorite
- lacquer-removing preparations
- Non-slipping wax for floors
- Oils for cleaning purposes
- Furbishing preparations
- Oil of turpentine for degreasing
- non-slipping liquids for floors
- Parquet floor wax/floor wax
- Paint stripping preparations
- Polishing preparations
- Preparations to make shiny the leaves of plants/preparations to make the leaves of plants shiny
- Polish for furniture and flooring
- Polishing wax
- Polishing creams
- Talc whitening and jewellers rouge
- Rust removing preparations
- Scouring solutions
- Shining preparations [polish]
- Soda lye
- Scale removing preparations for household purposes
- Stain removers
- Turpentine, for degreasing
- Preparations for unblocking drain pipes.
- Volcanic ash for cleaning
- Wallpaper cleaning preparations
- Household fragrances
- Incense, joss sticks
- Air fragrancing preparations
Vehicle cleaning preparations
- Windscreen cleaning liquids/windshield cleaning liquids.
- Bleaching salts
- Bleaching soda
- Colour brightening chemicals for household purposes (laundry)
- Fabric softeners for laundry use
- Laundry bleach/laundry bleaching preparations
- Laundry blueing
- Laundry preparations
- Laundry wax
- Laundry glaze
- Quillaia bark for washing
- Laundry soaking preparations/preparations for soaking laundry
- Smoothing preparations [ starching ]
- Starch glaze for laundry purposes
- Soap for brightening the textile
- Starch for laundry purposes/laundry starch
- Washing soda for cleaning.
Leather & shoe cleaning & polishing preparations
- Creams for leather/waxes for leather
- Leather bleaching preparations
- Shoe cream
- Leather preservatives [polishes]/preservatives for leather [polishes]
- Shoe polish
- Shoemakers’ wax
- Shoe wax.
- Abrasive paper
- Corundum [abrasive]
- Diamantine [ abrasive ]
- Carbides of metal [ abrasives ]
- Emery paper
- Emery cloth
- Glass cloth
- Polishing stones
- Grinding preparations/sharpening preparations
- Polishing paper
- Sand cloth/abrasive cloth
- Silicon carbide [abrasive], smoothing stones
- Sandpaper/glass paper
- Tripoli stone for polishing.
Tailors’ and Cobblers’ wax
- Cobblers’ wax
- Tailors’ wax.
Also Read: How to Check Trademark Status - Complete Procedure For Checking Trademark Status
Starting a company begins with registering a trademark. It is possible to register online as well as offline. Be sure to identify your business class correctly before proceeding with registration. For cosmetics and cleaning substances, class 3 trademark registration is important. Many companies overlook the class of goods and services involved in these activities. Considering the context of Trademark Class 3 Registration can enhance your brand's exclusivity and safety.
Follow Khatabook for business tips, income tax, GST, salary, and accounting updates, news blogs, and articles related to micro, small, and medium businesses (MSMEs).