What is Indian revenue service? The Indian Revenue Service (IRS) is a civil services competitive test in India held by the UPSC for recruitment to the Revenue Department. The IRS is the government of India's revenue and administrative service. It belongs to Group A services. IRS is divided into two branches: Central and Customs Excise IRS officer and IRS Income Tax Officer. IRS is a Central Civil Service that works under the Department of Revenue. The Union Ministry of Finance is in charge of collecting and managing different indirect and direct taxes accrue to the Union Government.
Did you know? The IRS primarily aids in administering direct tax legislation through the Income Tax Department. One of the biggest government agencies in India is the Income Tax Department, which employs around 75,000 people across 550 sites.
What Is IRS Officer ?
An IRS Officer supervises employees to ensure that any monies owed to the government (central, state or regional) are correctly billed and received on time.
What Is the Work of IRS ?
Let us discuss in brief the work of an IRS officer.
Formulation of Policy
The Central Board of Direct Taxes, which IRS officers run, is where indirect tax policy is developed and changed (CBDT).
An IRS agent's primary responsibility on the ground is Levying and collecting taxes. Ensuring willful tax evaders are apprehended and that taxes are consistently and fully assembled is crucial. IRS agents are also detectives and prosecutors, in addition to being tax administrators.
Combating illegal money
Another crucial duty of IRS agents is to stop the flow of illicit funds. They must also bargain international agreements with other tax jurisdictions in this regard.
You will be required as an IRS Officer to work to manage policy concerns in the context of investigations through tax evasion, letters and phone calls. They are also in charge of the government's money collecting department.
Training for IRS Officers
The National Academy of Direct Taxes (NADT) in Nagpur servess the primary training facility for IRS officials before they join the service. After a four-month Foundation Course, the officers undergo sixteen months of intensive IRS training, specifically created modules. IRS syllabus has taxation and related legislation, accounting, public finances, fiscal policy, office processes, and so forth. During the training, IRS officer posting is assigned to several field offices and organizations across India. They are also dispatched abroad to expose them to the greatest taxing techniques.
The UPSC administers the Indian Revenue Service (IRS), a civil services examination in India, to select candidates for the Revenue Department. The IRS is a Central Civil Service that reports to the Department of Revenue in the Union Ministry of Finance. Its duties include monitoring and collecting various direct and indirect taxes from the Union Government.
Candidates must hold a bachelor's degree in any subject to start a career in the Indian Revenue Services. Candidates must succeed in the civil services test given by the IRS post in UPSC.
Before getting posted, qualified applicants will go through IRS training.
The Indian Revenue Service (IRS) offers its officers a competitive salary and a wide range of perks. On the other hand, the range of pay varies depending on credentials and position of responsibility. Aspirants must graduate in any field to begin a career with the Indian Revenue Services. To sit for the UPSC's civil services test, applicants must meet the eligibility requirements. The qualified candidates will go through IRS IT training before being posted. Officers of the Indian Revenue Service (IRS) benefit from a high wage scale and other benefits. However, the compensation range varies according to the job requirements and level of responsibility.
About IRS Officer: Qualifications
One must pass the UPSC Civil Service Examination to pursue a career as an IRS officer or IRS officer. The applicants must be qualified to take the admission test. Shortlisted candidates are likely to have qualifications and experience. The criteria for the Indian Revenue Service UPSC services list are shown below.
- Candidates for the IRS must have graduated from a college accredited by the government in any discipline.
- Applicants must be at least 21 years old on August 1st of the examination year to be considered.
- There are two 200-point papers in the Preliminary examination which is the first level of exam for selecting into the second round.
- Each of the two-hour objective question papers has multiple-choice questions.
- Both Hindi and English will be used in the question papers.
- Candidates who pass the preliminary test are invited to take the main exam, and depending on their performance there, they may be asked for an interview.
- The result is determined by adding the combined scores from the Main test and Interview.
What Is the Work of IRS Officer ?
- Indian Revenue Service (IRS) officers serve as economic border guardians. They are appointed by intelligence bodies to enforce law enforcement, like the Intelligence Bureau, Central Bureau of Investigation, etc.
- Responsibilities in the Departments of Income Tax and Customs - The duties of IRS officers are tasked with the difficult task of detecting tax evasion. They have the legal authority to search for and collect unlawfully obtained riches and arrest the perpetrators to prevent subsequent evasions.
- Indian Revenue Service employees have been instrumental in investigating and exposing several national frauds.
- IRS officers conduct all critical border postings, protecting the country from smuggling and securing its economic borders.
- They conduct high-sea patrol missions as well as anti-piracy and smuggling operations.
Designations & Pay Scale for the Indian Revenue Service
Officers in the Indian Revenue Service have several opportunities for advancement and highly competitive pay rates.
IRS Job Profile
The Indian Revenue Service (IRS) is the largest Group A Central Service. The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT), established in accordance with the Central Boards of Revenue Act of 1963, oversees and manages the ITD within the Ministry of Finance's Department of Revenue. A Chairperson and Members who hold the rank and status of Special Secretaries to the Indian Government make up the CBDT. They are responsible for creating direct tax policies and ensuring they are properly implemented.
The CBDT is followed by regional-level field offices, each of which is led by a Principal Chief Income Tax Commissioner (PCCIT), who is at the summit of the scale. There are 18 regions led by PCCIT, which are Chief and Principal Income Tax Commissioners in charge of ensuring the field formation's appropriate operation.
- Principal Chief Commissioner of Income Tax
- Principal Commissioner of Income Tax
- Chief Commissioner of Income Tax
- Assistant Commissioner of Income Tax
- Deputy Commissioner of Income Tax
- Joint Commissioner of Income Tax
- Additional Commissioner of Income Tax
Designation Pay Scale
The table below provides details on the Indian Revenue Service's designations and pay scales (IRS)
Principal Chief Income Tax Commissioner
Chief Income Tax Commissioner
₹75,500 – ₹80,000
Principal Income Tax Commissioner
₹67,000 – ₹79,000
Income Tax Commissioner
₹37,400 – ₹67,000 grade pay of ₹10,000
Additional Income Tax Commissioner
₹37,400 – ₹67,000 grade pay of ₹8700
Joint Income Tax Commissioner
₹15,600 – ₹39,100 grade pay of ₹7600
Deputy Income Tax Commissioner
₹15,600 – ₹39,100 grade pay of ₹6600
Assistant Income Tax Commissioner
₹15,600 – ₹39,100 grade pay of ₹5400
Career Opportunities with the Indian Revenue Service
Officers of IRS cadres have the option of donning a variety of hats, making it a particularly dynamic service. Officers in the Indian Revenue Service have several opportunities for advancement and are paid extremely well. The Indian Revenue Service (IRS) officers are paid a high salary plus additional perks.
- Due to their expertise in tax concerns, IRS cadre officers are hired by a variety of organizations, including the CBI (Central Bureau of Investigation), R&AW (Research & Analysis Wing), and IB (Intelligence Bureau).
- IRS employees have the chance to chair the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT).
- IRS employees have the chance to be posted abroad.
- Officers from the IRS cadre may also be given a chance to work as the Income Tax Ombudsman.
- Officers in the IRS cadre are given a chance to work in Ministries.
An Indian Revenue Service Officer controls the country's finances, including foreign and domestic income tax regulations. An IRS Officer's tasks and responsibilities include developing and implementing regulations that regulate India's domestic and overseas taxation. An IRS officer's primary responsibilities include representing India at embassies and high commissions worldwide. Officers in the Indian Revenue Service have several opportunities for advancement and highly attractive pay rates.
Follow Khatabook for the latest updates, news blogs, and articles related to micro, small and medium businesses (MSMEs), business tips, income tax, GST, salary, and accounting