Multi-level Marketing (MLM) is a marketing technique that promotes the sale of goods and services by recruiting new members into a vast network of marketers and salespeople who can identify fresh leads and close more transactions. Everyone profits when a good or service is sold using this style of selling.
Although MLM is not illegal, many businesses entice new recruiters with huge profits. Many MLM firms have gained notoriety for their dubious business methods; some have even been discovered to be little more than illegal pyramid schemes. However, the possibility of making money in an MLM is relatively low, and many participants lose money. To prevent financial loss, you must be adequately aware of multi-level marketing.
Here’s everything you need to know about multi-level marketing before participating in one.
Did you know? Mi Lifestyle, a 2013 establishment in Chennai, is one of India's fastest-growing businesses, with a valuation of more than ₹500 crore. This network marketing business in India offers more than 200 goods, many of which are related to health and wellness.
What Is a Multi-Level Marketing (MLM)?
According to some direct-selling companies, the term describes a strategy for promoting goods and services. Former MLM participants are asked to pitch their items to consumers and recruit new members to the company, and marketers are paid depending on how well their new team members perform. New members are expected to sell goods as soon as they join the company's downline or networks to earn money. Even though most MLM systems are legitimate, some run illegal pyramid schemes.
Instead of offering investments or making sales of goods, a pyramid scheme recruits members by promising income or services in exchange for bringing people into the plan. A pyramid scheme is an illegal, unsustainable business strategy where investment profits are frequently derived from membership fees or investment principals rather than from underlying investment gains. Although it can take many different forms, this usually entails the promise of financial gain from hiring new employees.
Under the MLM model, distributors are individual business owners who build their networks of distributors to assist with product sales. This vast network of independent distributors generates money for the companies.
A percentage of the revenue made by their recruits goes to distributors. New hires join the distributor's network and are then prodded to close deals to bring in money. Although many multi-level marketing schemes are legal, there are also illegal firms that operate pyramid schemes. This has given legitimate MLM companies a bad name.
Also Read: Top Work From Home Business Ideas for Housewives 2023
How Does a Multi-Level Marketing System Work?
A direct sale or B2C (business-to-consumer) company offers goods or services to lone sales representatives in multi-level marketing who frequently operate as their small business owners. Then, they sell goods or services directly to customers without a retail shop. These independent distributors can act as sales representatives, brand ambassadors, or micro-influencers.
In multi-level marketing, the salesforce is divided into several layers. Distributors, who are autonomous non-paid participants, comprise the sales force. A distributor has two revenue sources: the commission from selling things directly to clients and the alternative to finding new distributors.
The distributor is not compensated when a brand-new (downline) participant is signed up. However, he is also responsible for the sales made by his distributors in his downline. A specific portion of the sales generated by the distributor's downline team is used to pay the distributor.
Even some distributors with sizable downline teams do not promote products independently, and they can earn enough commissions on the sales of the units in their downline. Existing distributors are effectively encouraged by the commission structure to grow or diversify their downline organisations. It enables the business to hire a more significant sales force, giving it access to more clients.
MLM businesses entice clients to sell by promising them new business chances with huge profits. In several cases, clients may choose to trust friends or family members working as representatives rather than complete strangers selling the goods. This is a critical component of an MLM marketing plan.
Advantages of Multi-Level Marketing
Both companies and distributors profit from the multi-level marketing technique. A multi-level marketing system can assist several companies in working with a significant customer base globally.
- Since the distributors are independent, the company only needs to pay commissions when sales are made rather than a fixed salary, which enables it to reduce sales expenses.
- One of the main benefits of joining multi-level marketing is that it allows distributors to earn additional money. It gives them the flexibility to choose their working hours. As per their preference, they can work full-or part-time.
- You do not have to spend money on renting office space or extra employees.
- With low startup costs, the risk of going into debt or failure is much lower in multi-level marketing.
Disadvantages of Multi-Level Marketing
- Autonomy and adaptability have many downsides as well. The corporation provides a small amount of assistance to distributors, and a lack of sales training or professional help can become ineffective and cause loss.
- Distributors at lower levels typically put in more labor yet earn far less than those in the lower tiers. Distributors at the upper tiers make the main profit.
- Risk of scams can make diminish the value of the business. Also, the growth rate is slow in multi-level marketing which makes people reluctant to join the firm. The lack of professional people and specialized training badly affects the firm
- With many people involved, multi-level marketing businesses need help managing their sales teams. Failure of their squad can cause reputational damage, which is unsuitable for business. The use of pyramid systems in multi-level marketing is another issue.
Also Read: Top Multi-Millionaire Business Ideas One Must Know!
Multi-Level Marketing (MLM) vs Pyramid Schemes
The differences between multi-level marketing (mlm) vs pyramid schemes can be better understood by the following table-
Examples of Multi-Level Marketing
Many well-known legal companies employ MLM techniques. Several other enterprises have been the subject of controversy, including claims that they used pyramid schemes, fraud claims, class action lawsuits, and incidents of securities fraud. Selling dangerous goods or violating wage payment laws are some of the common crimes committed by pyramid schemes.
Avon is an example of multi-level marketing. As per the company’s operating model, sales are generated via a network of salespeople, through presentations, or in one-on-one encounters in homes or workplaces, according to the business's operating model. Unlike other multi-level marketing companies, Avon does not have a dedicated retail store. Instead, the parent company gives entrepreneurs the means to operate their businesses in numerous places. A direct sales approach is another name for this kind of business strategy.
Other popular multi-level marketing examples include Amway, Tupperware, and Herbalife.
Also read: What Is a Business Advisor, Meaning, Roles & Average Salary
Setting a Career in Multi-Level Marketing
There are several advantages and disadvantages of choosing MLM business as your career.
Advantages of setting up a career in Multi-Level Marketing
- MLM network welcomes anyone and everyone regardless of their age and educationa
- There is no limitation to how much you can earn in the MLM business. You can earn as per your hard work.
- MLM is a no-investment business. Hence, you do not have to leave your current job.
- MLM does not ask for any financial investment and hence it is a no-risk business.
Disadvantages of setting up a career in Multi-Level Marketing
- As people only view the MLM as a side business, so, if you want to earn money through network marketing, put all of your attention and effort into developing and running a promotional business that will provide you with a sizable income over the long haul.
- You can lose money if the business decides to withdraw a product that your consumer base
- prefers. Creative clashes are also common in the MLM business.
- Network marketing businesses require dedication, concentration, and planning. You must choose this industry if you're prepared for numerous ups and downs.
If you are thinking of joining MLM, then you must do some research about the company. Distributors, products, etc. Have a conversation with current and former distributors and ask them about their experience. With several fraudulent pyramid-scheme companies functioning to trick people into buying their idea, one must be highly cautious in choosing a company with such schemes or business models.
Follow Khatabook for the latest updates, news blogs, and articles related to micro, small and medium businesses (MSMEs), business tips, income tax, GST, salary, and accounting.